Oil hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cutten, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Cutten

Cutten

Have you ever noticed that people complain about the high price of petrol/gasoline, but then drive their car just as much as before?

Isn't it rather hypocritical to complain about the high price of something whilst contributing to high demand for the same product?

2. I live in the Washington DC area (read: lots of traffic) and I haven't observed any change in driving habits.

1) Hummers, Tundras, Expeditions, etc with no passengers.
    2) Still driving 80 in a 55.
    3) Still parked with the engine running to run the air conditioning.

Gas is still dirt cheap, in my opinion.

3. Banjo

Banjo

"Isn't it rather hypocritical to complain about the high price of something whilst contributing to high demand for the same product?"

Get a grip, happens all the time with pussy.

4. Hey, it's all about supply and demand, baby.

5. When I was a young man, gas was 33 cents a gallon and a blue collar mill worker took home 30 bucks a week. Yes, now gas is dirt cheap.

6. agpilot

agpilot

------------------------
    ...and a NEW '55 Ford 2 dr hardtop with all extras was about $2450... Diesel was like 20-25 cents in bulk for farm use. Now get this: people were somewhat upset because 15 years earlier, before WW2, all these things were much cheaper. In 1939 my folks bought one of the best farms (quarter section) in the good corn growing area for the expensive price of $100 per acre which included a very good set of buildings and a nice 4 bedroom home... Nearby farms now sell for $4500 bare land PLUS more money for buildings and home. WW2 changed the mind set of the 1930's depression rather quick regarding price of common things. 1939 to 1949 had a big shift in prices. Looks like we're starting that again? agpilot

7. Talk about cheap land.

In 1974 I wanted to buy a 320 acre farm just outside of and south of Fredericksburg va. for 60 k and build a new house on it. That's less than 200 bucks an acre.

Moreover it was just a couple of miles off of Interstate 95 and with direct access to it.

When my daughter heard about it, she pitched a fit and so did my wife.

I'm still pissed about it.

By the way, I bought a brand new two tone blue, 55 ford convertible and paid about 2400 bucks for it. lol

8. I drive less. Only because I now trade at home. :p

9. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Do you really like trading from home?

I have been trading from home for the last 2 years and am just about to move into a small office downtown. I just feel like I will be able to concentrate and have less distraction there.

#10     Jul 3, 2008