Oil Getting Crushed...

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by ssternlight, Aug 26, 2005.

1. mhashe

mhashe

I'm sure T Boone was'nt talking up his position. :)

Crude inventories are at an all time high going into next few months which have less demand. It's the undercapacity in refining ( seems all refineries are being shut down for some reason or another) that's leading to the perception of a shortage. Asians are bringing online some refineries, so at the macro level we are inside of a peak price band. Question is are we at the top or bottom of the band.

#21     Aug 27, 2005
  2. Agreed.
    Meanwhile, Katrina has been upgraded to Category 3 with winds at 115 MPH, and is now tracking West, but looking to turn more North overnight towards New Orleans.

Landfall expected Monday as a Category 4.
    Wow, New Orleans could get wiped-out at that rate.

http://aolsvc.weather.aol.com/maps.adp?type=national&id=AOL_TROP_ATL_12_projected_path_440x297

#22     Aug 27, 2005
  3. I agree.

It's quite unbelievable how many people will simply REFUSE to look at the FACTS. Just the facts please!

1/ US 2005 demand FLAT (+0.3%)
    Latest report by American Petroleum Institute (26-Jul-05):
    "Total domestic deliveries, a key measure of demand, rose just 0.3% over the level for January through June of the year before, compared with an annual 3.5% increase in 2004. As a result of slower growth across all major refined petroleum products, this year's first half showed the weakest results for a six-month period since the first half of 2002.

2/ China demand DOWN (-1.2%)
    China oil imports down -1.2% YoY. VLCC supertanker shipping rates to Asia plunging (see previous post of mine)

3/ Commercial oil stocks at 5yr HIGHS (DOUBLE from 5yr avg) and US government Strategic Petroleum Reserve full to the MAX of its capacity (finished filling it last week). Gasoline stocks are -1% from 5yr average.

4/ Capital is pouring into this market, both in futures and in physical market (hoarding oil) for over 2yr. Big investors invest in "commodity index funds". Uptrend begets more and more buying. Now oil speculation is within reach of retail public: Oil ETF has already made its debute in UK and more are to follow.

I've looked at this from many different angles and as I wrote before, all facts point to a speculative bubble, SHORT TERM.

If "Peak Oil", or "Saudi oil production is drying up" have merit, I do not know. But there there is some evidence (ref: article by Yergin in WashingtonPost, he's talking about 20% rise in MBpd supply), suggesting that on the medium-term (2-5yr) the supply-side is in better condition than most realise.

My opinion is that $60+ oil was forced upon the world by BigOil / Bush-istas.

I like to keep things SIMPLE: "just follow the money". Who has made it like bandits during the last 5yr? Big Oil and Defense industry.

Now the SPR is 100% full, who knows, they might invade Iran, to keep the oil bull going.

A sad situation indeed. As sad as people hoping/praying for a physical catastrophe (typhoon), if it's going to make them profits. Or those people asking which stocks would benefit from the Tsunami event some months ago.

#23     Aug 27, 2005
  4. Arnie

Arnie

WEell here's a fact......the price of gasoline will continue to rise as long as we keep buying. :D

I don't know where you are getting your facts on China but here's a link you may want to explore.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/china.html

#24     Aug 27, 2005
  5. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

It really doesn’t matter if people are bullish on oil as a result of high gas prices and an under-supply of refineries. The new demand for raw energy by the Asians is real and consistently underestimated. Their ability to build refineries will be underestimated as well, imo.

In addition to this enormous new demand for light sweet crude, it causes all sorts of old fashioned geopolitical problems as energy consumers of different nation states compete for the same sources of energy. This all causes bullish volatility in oil.

And all the news releases pertaining to some terrorist threat in Saudi Arabia, news about Chavez saying he was "kidding" about not selling his oil to America, or him telling the Americans to “suck on it,” or some hurricane happening in the Gulf of Mexico, only causes volatility in the bullish direction long term. Because all of it has to do with interrupting and interfering with supply, which is supplying this “surprising” and “startling” rise in global demand for energy.

Of course, as the price of oil goes up, it will force innovation in the industries associated with energy production (oil refinery/new energy technologies) and energy consumption (conservation technologies.) But there will be a lag in all of this.

I would look at places like this:

http://www.intertanko.com/

In particular:

http://www.intertanko.com/tankernews/artikkel.asp?id=5828

than the mainstream media.

#25     Aug 27, 2005
  6. the breed of cunt on this board is unbelievable. Yes the recent rise in Oil has everything to do with Bush and BigOil and nothing to do with growing world wide consumption and a limited supply of non-renewable resources which is quickly being depleted.

#26     Aug 27, 2005
  7. Babak

Babak

8. Arnie

Arnie

Man, talk about exposing your ignorance. :D

#28     Aug 28, 2005
  9. I didn't see anyone of those posters, who claim that oil can only go higher, attempt to address the facts of short-term (next 6-12 months) and medium-term (5yr) supply-demand.

The reality is that, the huge run-up in oil prices over last 2yr was mostly due to big stockpiling of reserves,by EVERYONE AT THE SAME TIME.

As I wrote earlier, demand spiked last 2yr due to the Bushistas refilling 700mil barrel SPR to the max, at the same time that US/EU commercials were doubling their own stocks (600mil bar) and specs hoarding. And Asian demand rising between 2000 and 2004 (NOT in 2005 anymore)

Anyway, right now, even if a natural disaster (e.g. Katrina) temporarily affects oil operations (remember it'd only be a US disruption), any responsible US government would release stocks from now 100% full 700Mbar SPR, to soften the blow on the real economy. I'm not sure even the Bush-istas can avoid doing so, even with all the brainwashing power they have over the american sheeple.

Meanwhile, OPEC says crude and distillate stockpiles are ABOVE SEVEN (7) YEAR AVERAGE. And exploring options to moderate them.

#29     Aug 28, 2005
  10. Babak

Babak

Almost right. If you follow the money to its final destination it would be OPEC and non-OPEC countries. A lot of very happy Sheikhs and Mullahs.

#30     Aug 28, 2005