Oil & Gas

Discussion in 'Journals' started by JayS, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Its been to high for to long, Emerging markets (China, India, Brazil) along with the rest of the world are gobbling up supply. T Boone Pickens says their is limited supply. He has been up in Canada pulling oil out of sand.

So here we are going into May in the US hurricane season right around the corner, $100 dollar oil coming up, cheap oil is gone forever get that thru your heads.

#21     Apr 28, 2006
  2. JayS

JayS

The US saw peak oil/gas in the early 70's I think the World will see it between 2010-2015. Did you have a more specific question? :)

#22     Apr 28, 2006
  3. bio diesel and ethanol both use a food source as fuel. what are the moral implications of using a food source as fuel when 25000 people a day die of starvation in the world? what happens the next time we have a drought and are short of foodstock. we already plant fencerow to fencerow in the united states and use all the available crops for food.
    i have seen recent studies that the net energy input to make ethanol is higher than the energy produced.

#23     Apr 28, 2006

4. With Bio-Diesel, restaurant grease is great, you donot have to use grains, and so what if we did at least we would be supporting the American farmer. The one thing we can do here in American is grow things.

The US goverment pays farmers not to plant, HELLO!

#24     Apr 28, 2006
  5. those days are gone. the only payments nowdays are for highly erodable land that should never have been tilled in the first place. the farm subsidies today are all price based.
    we are planting fencerow to fencerow nowdays. (disclaimer i own a farm in south dakota)
    land rental rates and land prices have doubled in the last five years because of a lack of tillable land.

#25     Apr 28, 2006
  6. Your timing estimate confirms my observation that the 'insider' concensus is consistently for a near-term peak.

Whether we sustain a "hard" vs "soft" landing will be a combination of factors including enforced conservaton, economic growth, geopolitics, energy alternatives, etc. But the single most important determinant is clearly the post-peak depletion rate. There is much speculation about the decline rate of mature oil fields. For example, it is reported that deep water fields in the N. Sea are now showing year-over-year decline rates in the double digit percentages (UK oil production peaked in 1999, I believe). If some of the world's major oil fields exhibit that degree of drop off, the consequences would seem dire.

Do you have direct experience and knowledge of decline rates of mature fields? If so, what kind of rates are you seeing? Thanks.

#26     Apr 28, 2006
  7. JayS,

How do you rank the relative attractiveness of the various energy sectors, eg refining, E&P, drillers, oil service?

Do you think we are seeing what in retrospect will seem like an incredible opportunity in Nat Gas? Or is it simply more reflective of fundamentals than crude?

#27     Apr 28, 2006
  8. this has turned out to be a good thread...looking forward to the depth of discussions here

#28     Apr 28, 2006
  9. JayS

JayS

I have a pretty good idea of decline rates in mature fields in the US (TX/LA/MS/Gulf), between 5%-7%. Saudi around 8%, Russia between 9%-12%. Thats just a few off the top of my head. World wide is hard to call but I would say 6%-8%.

#29     Apr 28, 2006
  10. JayS

JayS

Tough call, high 5's low 6's look like it may be a bargain. I think it might be another rough hurricane season, the gulf needs more time --something thats running out quickly.

I like some of the medium size independents (but might wait for more of a pull back). APC, SNP, APA, OXY, EOG, KMG.

#30     Apr 28, 2006