Oil crisis simple solution - outlaw margin trading of commodities - why not?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by travelingtrader, May 21, 2008.

1. Mundame

Mundame

I do the grocery shopping, and I can tell you inflation is a LOT more than 2 -- 3%. :eek:

"Core inflation": as far as I can tell, that means they select whatever isn't inflating hoping to lie the rate down.

#31     May 22, 2008
  2. it'd be interesting to find out how much stuff related to alternative energies has been inflating.....

what is the inflation rate on :
    coal?
    silicon for solar panels?
    wood for woodstoves?

#32     May 22, 2008
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Are you in Congress by chance?

#33     May 22, 2008
  4. Cesko

Cesko

Absolutely fitting question.:D :D

#34     May 22, 2008
  5. I wish he was. There would at least be one person there willing to slow this puppy down.

#35     May 22, 2008
  6. the price of oil has been rising faster then the price of gasoline.
    so how come the refiners are not up in arms about this?

#36     May 22, 2008
  7. I like that ppl are margined to their ears in oil because when shit hits the fan those margined players are going to absolutely murder oil to the downside with their forced sales. Let the market take care of this themselves, they will.

#37     May 22, 2008
  8. Here's a novel idea. What if the Fed were to raise interest rates? Prices of EVERYTHING would come down. People could only buy what they were able to afford, not their wish list or what their neighbors are doing. Overpaid for your house? Sorry.

#38     May 22, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

As the commodity markets have been around much longer than Congress, I say we OUTLAW CONGRESS!

#39     May 22, 2008
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

I saw a NYMEX rep interviewed this morning. According to him only 20% of the oil futures open interest are speculators and 1/2 of them are short.

#40     May 22, 2008