Ohio House passes bill to require GPS in all vehicles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Esq Esq Esq, Apr 1, 2010.

1. I didnt post this in the ChitChat section b/c this will have serious impact on GPS makers...

(HERE WE GO BIG BROTHER)

Ohio House passes bill to require GPS in all vehicles, Maryland and Virginia to follow
    By Ross Watt and Susan Sizemore, CNN
    March 22, 2010 11:03 a.m. EDT

GPS units will be required to be installed in all new and existing cars after 2014.
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    Law enforcement to monitor speed remotely and issue citations through mail
    GPS units to be used to locate stolen cars and missing persons
    RELATED TOPICS
    Ohio
    Traffic Safety
    A bill that would require all automakers to install global positioning systems in their vehicles, starting in 2014, has unanimously passed a vote in the Ohio House of Representatives, and it looks as though several other states including Maryland and Virginia are looking to follow suit.
    The House voted 97-0 in favor of House Bill 634, which would bring Ohio law to the forefront of a movement that seems to be very popular among House representatives nationwide, with the exception of both Texas and Alabama.
    According to the sponsor of the controversial bill, Helen Bealon, D-Woodbury, the government is interested in finding new ways to increase public safety, while also helping to address some of the issues that have arisen with the downturn in the economy. Bealon spoke with CNN in early February shortly after the bill was introduced.
    “This bill will help police to track down stolen vehicles and missing persons, while also helping the police monitor traffic violations, especially speeding,” Bealon said. “Safety is our number one priority, and exceeding the speed limit is one of our most dangerous problems. This should help to control that temptation a little bit.”
    This is just the latest step in a movement to increase driver safety by cities and states across the U.S., which began with the installation of red-light cameras. Statistics have shown that red-light cameras have made a significant impact in reducing the number of accidents at major intersections where they have been installed.
    The bill has not yet been assigned to a Senate committee, according to a Senate spokeswoman.
    Bealon introduced the bill primarily to make it easier for police officers to track down traffic violators and, according to Bealon, help “make our highways and streets safer.”
    Alan Mulally, president and CEO of the Ford Motor Company, is in support of the bill and thinks that more states should adopt the same legislation.
    “This is a good thing for the state of Ohio, and it should save a lot of lives in the long run,” Mulally said. “It will be an extra cost in the manufacturing stages for us, but it should save money for us in the future. Fewer accidents will decrease the need for manufacturing spare parts for our vehicles.”
    The bill does not currently include any verbiage regarding exactly how much a driver must be exceeding the posted speed limit in order for the state government to issue a speeding citation, but it will work much in the same way the red-light camera system works. As a driver exceeds the allowable limit, a warning light on the GPS within their vehicle will flash, and if the driver does not reduce their speed within 20 seconds, the citation will be issued and mailed to the registered driver’s home address.
    The bill’s unanimous passage in the House illustrates its noncontroversial nature within the Ohio House, but it remains controversial to some who feel it is a violation of their right to privacy.
    Jason Simmons, a commercial truck driver for Heartland Express, Inc., frequently has to transport freight through Ohio, and he’s very familiar with Ohio’s highway system.
    “This is an unfair and unlawful violation of our privacy,” Simmons said. “Sometimes you have to speed up to pass [other drivers] that are driving significantly slower than the limit.”
    According to Bealon, it is important to not lose focus on how this will help to make Ohio, and other states that follow, a safer place.
    “These GPS systems will not only make our highways safer, but they will also make recovering stolen cars and finding missing persons much easier,” Bealon said.
    Typically the automotive industry opposes government involvement in the industry, as nearly every industry does, but not in this case according to Mulally.
    “This bill just makes sense financially, as well as with our safety concerns for people in general,” Mulally said. “I just hope more states will also considering making this change.”

2. olias

olias

My initial reaction was, 'this is bullshit!'...but having read the article it's an interesting debate. It does seem to take us one step closer to Big Brother though. Total safety means total control. I'd rather have more freedom and less safety actually.

3. They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Ben Franklin

Slippery slope we are going down.

4. new vehicles (not sure if all of them) have a black box to record data, gps seems like a natural. I don't like it but it's not my world anymore. pre 9/11 was the life.

5. Hello

Hello

I agree, given the fact that we already know that various media sources can dig stuff up on your past life on a whim, do you really want to know that everywhere you have ever been in your car may be on trial? I would rather know that i can lose my car, then lose my privacy.

6. Wow... Land of the what? So who pays to install this in my used car??.. And it was unanimous!! I very likely won't retire here..

7. Statistics...riiight. And here I am thinking all those cameras increasing in my area is because they're so profitable. Silly me.

Let's all repeat the party line....

SAFETY...goood ......SPEEDING...baaad.

8. pspr

pspr

This isn't right.

9. required chip implants in humans is only about 150 years away.

[​IMG]

10. I've read a few reports stating that they removed camera restrictions due to
    1) Lack of revenue because of less violation tickets (showing the importance of safety on the scale of relevance).
    2) In other areas, they actually created more accidents due to drivers stepping on the brakes out of fear.

The good thing is that enforced or not, the cameras are already installed.

Echelon meets Orwell, here we come.

#10     Apr 1, 2010