Oh my god, I suck!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by FireWalker, Mar 15, 2004.

1. i have my mouse over the buy/sell/short buttons, with position size and price setup and wait. its become like an action in a sport, the less i think about whether i should do something or not, and just do it right after i get my signal. hesitaiton kills.
    know your system, follow your rules, and don't question, just act!

-m.o.

#21     Mar 15, 2004
  2. FireWalker

well, I'm just a newbie here on ET, and I haven't the experience of knowing which posts are "fun" and which posts are "real" and which posts are "real fun" ...
    and the same goes with the posters themselves ....

matter of fact, I'm on the verge of checking if ET has an "Ignore" button, for I've already read some stuff from some folks who I've decided that I'm wasting my time even reading what they have to say ...

BUT

and, in this I'm perhaps being naive ..

BUT
    I feel as if you're serious, and, therefore I'll attempt to answer in a serious manner ..

a goodly number of answers from various posters have already expressed the thought that many, if not all, have gone through similar feeling and costly inaction....
    I know I HAVE ...

your self analysis, to me, seems very well thought out and exhibits a rare ability of inner inventory taking ....
    matter of fact, it seems almost too good for it not to be a baited trap for the unwary (like me) to reply ...
    but .. what the heck ...
    I wish someone had informed me way back when of the simple fact of which I'm going to inform you ....

be that as it may ...

I'll chunk out this meager tidbit of advice ...
    it cost me a nice pile of lucre to discover it myself, as I was in similar straights as regarded a LOT of my actions ....
    trading AND other important facets of my life

I'm elderly and have been in the market for a long time .... matter of fact it'll be 50yrs next month I made my first trade ....
    about five or six years ago I'd be what I call "agonizing" over relatively simple matters ....
    trading was becoming a perilous pursuit due to inaction and just seemed to exemplify what I was doing in other areas also ...

ok ...
    here was MY solution ....

I was diagnosed *(late in life, needless to say) as having ADD **(ADHD without the hyper portion)
    and
    was put on medication for nearly a year for it
    and
    from time to time, even now, find that I must take remedial action to assuage the effects ....

here are a couple of websites that I think you'll find interesting, and it could well start you on the journey to being more comfortable within yourself ....

http://www.adultadd.com/2_2_recognizing/screener.jsp?ccd=adultadd262

http://www.oneaddplace.com/addcheck.htm

now, as I said at the beginning, I know I've left myself open for all kinds of ridicule from some posters on ET ....
    LOL
    well, I can hopefully find an Ignore button, or if not , I can just not read some posts ....

or course, this could be of NO value/help to you, and if not, perhaps it will to some other reader of this message .....
    simply KNOWING about ADD has been one of the giant steps forward I've taken in my life

good luck

#22     Mar 15, 2004
  3. racehorse,
    50 yrs and "elderly" ? I'm no more than just above 30, and still have a awy to go, but perhaps it's the widening generation gaps as a by-product of a ingrasingly faster changing culture ...

Well, I guess having ADD, or similar disorders, could have a even greater impact when trading - especially day-trading. I certainly feel super-stressed when the market is starting to show some signs of changing direction. I ask people to not disturb me, and have rather short to-the-point answers - unlike here, and feel everyone are trying to steel my attention away. Well, I trade from home and have a 2 year old son I have to keep on eye on as well. Getting up in time for the european action as well is hard sometimes, and other days I sleep in, just to watch the ES action in the afternoon without any trades.

But the freedom and feeling of being in charge of your own financial 'destiny' through the trading is just great - even more so than when I was "entrepreneuring" and self-employed. So, for me any remedy is worth it to keep on doing this, as I'm sure others feel the same way too.

Yes, and for ignoring some posters: you click on their nickname in the information field left of the message. But I recommend doing this only to those who heckle you or go out of their way to attack you - either continously or without logical merits. The old Usenet flame-proof asbestos-suit is a handy piece of clothing, and it's not worth to lose any sleep or important trading time by feeling overly aggrevated. Just remember that misunderstandings are frequent in online forums and discussion groups because of the informal tone and lack of visual feedback and confirmation from the participants of the discussions.

#23     Mar 15, 2004
  4. Yes, I have many times pulled my poor hairsacks sore and torn because of missed opportunities when fine-calibrating prices. But such hair-trigger respones requires self-confidence, good instincts, a proven trading system and reversals/exits prepared to be fired at a bad trade.
    It's wonders when it works.

#24     Mar 15, 2004
  5. Put on about 100 contracts - that ought to do it.

#25     Mar 15, 2004
  6. nkhoi

nkhoi

memer, send me the charts you want to post at long4ever@cox.net I will make sure they get post on fork thread, good to see you.

#26     Mar 15, 2004
  7. Welcome to ET. If you don't know, ET is a place full of winners and losers. But don't be surprised one day when you realized that "Oh my god, I suck!". Because you are supposed to suck. It's perfect all right to suck. You suck. I suck. We suck as many suck. So let's yell together with faith "Oh Dear Lord, I suck".

#27     Mar 15, 2004
  8. gnome

gnome

AND... a "gonad clip"...

#28     Mar 15, 2004
  9. nkhoi,
    thank you for your offer
    but
    my attaching a chart problem has been fixed -----

reply on the Feedback thread solved my difficulty....

here Magna identified the problem

thanks for the reply and, given a bit of time, I'll be posting some forks over on the thread now ....

and to Gringinho >>>>>
    LOL....
    well, poor communication on my part ...
    I didn't mean to insinuate that the elderly part had ANYTHING to do with the situation .....
    I meant that, while I'd gone though varying stages of having ADD affect me ---- that I was elderly WHEN diagnosed with it .... LOL

of course, I'd had it all along, but my coping mechanism had evidently weaked later in life ...*(alas, as well as other things also) .....

no, being elderly had nothing to do with it ..
    looking back NOW, I find it regrettable that it took so long for me to seek help and find out WHAT it was ......

and, actually I said I'd been in the market for 50 years .. as my first trade was when I was 13 .....
    my Dad had been a full time trader in equties waaaaay back when a daytrade meant it took a full day to get it done ..... ggggg

#29     Mar 15, 2004
  10. I would have guessed mostly losers.

#30     Mar 16, 2004