Oh my Gawd...

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ElectricSavant, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Fun story, ES.

Way to go, Britney! (No, not that one.) Nice extra credit work... In her persistence and dedication to solving a problem, she can't help but remind me of myself in my younger, teenage years (except for the gender, the good looks and the talent for math).

[​IMG]
    Photo of the 11th Fold, One More to Go

Yeah, that 12th fold is always a bitch...

However, we are led to believe that the achievement depicted here is somehow groundbreaking... is it, really? That little piece of paper she's got folded 11 times there, is about 2 feet wide. Therefore, it is approx. 2 ft. x 2^11 = 2 ft. x 2,048 = 4,096 ft long. That's just over 3/4 mile long. Whether it is some industrial, Christo-sized paper roll or glued together from smaller pieces. In other words, the best way to solve a difficult challenge is to change the rules of the game. (Just like in trading...) Why not get your hands on a 6-mile-long piece of paper and fold it 15 times, shattering the world record with ease?

Seems to me the hardest part of this, um, accomplishment -- besides the relatively simple math involved -- may have been setting aside enough time to find a sufficiently wide open space and walk (bike, rollerbrade, drive, whatever) a few miles back and forth, while folding.

2. hcour

hcour Guest

I thought part of the problem was that it wasn't supposed to be able to be done no matter the size of the paper, as stated in the article?

H

3. Good point. Maybe I am just having trouble accepting the use of 3/4 mile-long paper as, well, fair and reasonable, in solving this classic problem. To paraphrase a certain wordsmith president, I guess it depends on what your definition of a "piece of paper" is.