Oh look, Jim Rogers was long the dollar the last two months, and didn't tell you ?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by tmarket, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Illum

Illum

I have heard him call moves in advance more times than not. He will also say when he thinks things are trending. I have no idea what his motives are for talking to the media, but I wouldn't get worked up about it. There is no one talking to the media giving better advice than him. Einhorn is great, but clearly he was talking book on Leh. PTJ, great but quiet. Paulson incredible, also quiet. Rodgers is the real deal, this thread reeks. I'd get his coffee all day to learn from him.

#31     Dec 10, 2009
  2. Oy Vey. This board is a joke. Who can waste the time to rip into a successful millionaire market maven? Sure Rogers is an arrogant twerp with his bowtie and rehashed lines. But give credit where credit is due. He has more money than you from this game. A lot more. That much I'm sure of.

#32     Dec 10, 2009
  3. Tide31

Tide31

Somebody said he sold his place in NYC in '08 or so, great trade? He bought a big spread in Singapore because he hates the US so much. Worst global real estate crash since '08: Singapore. He was on CNBC tonight laughing when he was asked if he owned US equities. - "No I don't buy bubbles." He missed the entire ride up from March. Asked if he owns US Govies, -"No, bigger bubble, would I lend the US money at 4 percent for 10 years? Hahaha!" He said "I am long commodities for the global economy improving." Long USD, long commodities . . . Sounds like a wash trade to me. Dollar up, commodities down.

He is such a pompous ass with that stupid tie and demeanor. Never trust a guy that wears a bowtie everyday. He gave me his book over 10 years ago at Wall St function with him riding a motorcycle on the cover, I breezed thru it, saw no value-added and tossed it in the trash.

#33     Dec 11, 2009
  4. hughb

hughb

Yes, he has much more money than I do. But where did he get that money? If he earned most of it through fees collected from investors, then he deserves no credit. Has he earned money from capital gains and dividends from the market? I hope he has, but there really isn't any evidence of it. Pretty much of of his statements that could be construed as a prediction are wrong, (unless you wait 20 years for them to pan out as was pointed out in his Market Wizards example).

Just tonight I watched an interview with Rogers as he, yet again, rants about those goddam incompetent politicians screwing everything up and lying to the poor American sheeple. His schtick is old. I'm just tired of it. After all the time he spends with his face in front of a camera you think you could find a few examples of his market prowess.

Someone once superimposed his book 'A Bull in China' on top of a chart of the Hang Seng index with the book pasted on the day it came out. It coincided nearly perfectly with the top of the market.

#34     Dec 11, 2009
  5. I saw the interview too!

Gold going to several thousand $ an ounce!

Jihaaaa!:p

#35     Dec 11, 2009
  6. Einhorn and Paulson have public track records. What does Rogers have? We have no idea how his "can't lose, always winning" trade recommendations are doing in reality. We have no idea how Rogers makes his money. Index/ETF fees? Speaking appearances? Selling books? Selling his NY home? Capital gains from trading and investing? A little bit of everything?

Einhorn and Paulson are graded by the market and the grades are there for all to see. I'd add a bear and goldbug (who is much more bearish on the US than Rogers could ever be) without a big media profile but with a public track record, and that would be Eric Sprott (www.sprott.com). Track record attached.

To me, any of those three have much more credibility as traders than some old buffoon wearing a bow tie yapping how he never had a losing trade ever in his life.

#36     Dec 11, 2009
  7. Earlier this year he said he was renting in Singapore:

http://www.asiaone.com/Business/My+Money/Opinion/Story/A1Story20090119-115740.html

#37     Dec 11, 2009
  8. He is renting in a nice place i think, Orange grove isnt it, that's a posh area in Singapore, he is hardly poor.

#38     Dec 11, 2009
  9. What are you babbling about makloda? Just last year he admitted that he was blown out of a short bond trade and he constantly admits that he is the worst trader in the world. He doesn't have a public track record and he doesn't tell people how much he's worth! If he was seeking investors the he would NEED that. Obviously, he doesn't.
    Oh that envy is a bitter pill to swallow makloda.

#39     Dec 11, 2009
  10. REALLY???? Bloomberg's Betty Liu exposed his endless charades in 11/2008:

[​IMG]
    http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?clipSRC=mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vCM4wglCjinI.asf

Betty: "You have said you were shorting treasuries before, have you covered any of those shorts, since they have gone up since?"
    Jim: "No, no, I have been shorting them for the last two weeks, they have been going down for the last two weeks"
    Betty: "But you have told me you were shorting treasuries months ago?"
    Jim: "Treasuries I was shorting months ago?"
    Betty: "Yes!"
    Jim: "Oh no no no, ah!!! I was, ah the TLT yes yes yes!!!! No no, they haven't gone up!! No No No I have been making money on my shorts!!!!!!"

See http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143735

Who needs investors when one can sell books, commodity index linked ETFs/warrants and speaking appearances? See: http://www.brooksinternational.com/Jim_Rogers_776.htm Fee Info (subject to change): $20,000-$40,000

Einhorn, Paulson, Soros and Sprott make their money from TRADING. The Rogers, Schiffs, Fabers and Prechters of this world make their money from TALKING - with zero accountability.

#40     Dec 11, 2009