Oh for shame!!!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tampa, Feb 20, 2002.

1. :cool::cool:

#11     Feb 20, 2002
  2. I've gotten lots of valuable information from this site in the two months that I've been following it. I have to say though that the occasional personal attacks, justified or not, are dissapointing. Perhaps if people posted using their real names the situation may change.

In another discussion group that I've been part of for a couple of years everyone uses their real names. It's an excellent site that deals with photography: http://www.photo.net/bboard/unified

I know that Elite Trader is concerned with people's livelihoods while photo.net is about people's hobbies. I can tell you though that photographers can get pretty passionate about some topics. Somehow though I think the fact that people are posting under their real names makes a difference in the overall tone of the site.

While I have your attention, thanks to all for posting; this site is very helpful to me.

#12     Feb 20, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

I worked at a company that developed software to trade the futures automatically. The company sold a canned system, along with a monthly newsletter that showed optimized parameters that were working best on each future.

We got a call from one of _THE_ most visible gurus in the industry, complaining that we "shouldn't be giving away this stuff" - it was too good. There are a lot of other stories like this, but I do not want to say too much here.

When I was in the pit of the Merc as a clerk, there was a big scandal of traders colluding with each other to screw customers. Years later, there was a big undercover FBI probe because of customer complaints - I don't have to tell you what they found.

Do you have a computer? Do you have a system for backtesting strategies/indicators? Have you spent a year or more going through what these things (books/videos/gurus) claim to see if they actually give you an edge?

Look, no one knows what a stock (or fill in the blank) is going to do tomorrow. The best you can do is step up and put your money down on some conviction that you have - if you think the gurus/chatrooms/etc can help you do that, then don't worry what any of us have to say - we are making a statement more about _OURSELVES_ than about you! We don't even know you, though, we may know the gurus.

nitro

#13     Feb 20, 2002
  4. nitro

nitro

Manrico,

You find this dissapointing? My gwad, this is mild my friend - it's just a bunch of words on a screen. Step into the S&P futures pit for a day to see what it is _REALLY_ like.

nitro

#14     Feb 20, 2002
  5. Understanding the culture is just another part of the learning experience I guess.

#15     Feb 20, 2002
  6. nitro

nitro

Manrico,

There is a lot of testosterene, egos, and scam artists in these forums.

To me, unfortunately (or fortunately,) (electronic) trading is not Ballet, it's more like mental Ice Hockey. Pit trading is more like real Hockey (take a look at the size of the people in the pits these days.) I suspect that this forum mirrors some of this...

I do not know what it is like for you, but this has been my experience.

nitro

PS If you are looking for a gentle soul amongst us, talk to brother Candletrader tho -

#16     Feb 20, 2002
  7. ...I have to say though that the occasional personal attacks, justified or not, are dissapointing.

Forgive me, but I really like the flaming and attacks, it is really spiritied, fun to read and brakes the boredom.

#17     Feb 20, 2002
  8. Ironically I played hockey and never did ballet. Hopefully I can handle this game also. I think I can, it's just a matter of learning the rules, or lack of them!

#18     Feb 20, 2002
  9. nitro

nitro

Manrico,

I think you will be OK!

nitro

#19     Feb 20, 2002
  10. tymjr

tymjr

bundlemaker: “… you draw to you the type of energy you put out. Stress, heart disease, marital problems, and yes, your bank account problems are caused by YOU!”

Certainly is a calming and empowering thought to believe that you are in control of all aspects of your life. A myth that serves.

Interesting to think about all of the less fortunate children and adults, born in less fortunate places, at less fortunate times, who simply could have chosen not to be murdered, or emaciated, diseased, or wrought with the power of psychological violence.

Most everyone might agree that we have a hand in how our lives unfold but to claim complete responsibility for those things, whether fortune or shame, that can simply “bear down upon us”, is a manner of presupposition that has partly gained its admittance by virtue of being born to the ranks of a prosperous, decadent society and age.

“Accident rules every corner of the Universe…”

I’m not suggesting that the notion of personal responsibility is without value, but I am taking it to its end.

#20     Feb 20, 2002