Official Police Report - Trayvon Martin shooting

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gwb-trading, Mar 27, 2012.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Link to the “Partial Report Only” Police Report that was completed at 3:07 a.m. on Feb. 27.

Interesting Note - It lists Trayvon’s full name, city of birth, address and phone number, but it took 3 days of Trayvon's family calling the Sanford police department before the police admitted to knowing anything about Trayvon's whereabouts. Deliberate or Incompetence?

Only six witnesses documented in the police report, but there are at least 7 witnesses who called in on 911 calls (besides Zimmerman). Failure to interview and document all the witnesses = Failure in police work.

Note that this was the only Police Report completed in this case. No "Final Report" was created. No further investigation was done whatsoever in this case as admitted by the police chief who was removed from office. (There is now however further police work being done on this case and a report for the new DA being completed).

Also here is another interesting article - The killing of Trayvon Martin: More questions

2. achilles28

achilles28

I'm not sure how bad this looks. There was only 1 eye witness besides Zimmerman ("John"), who corroborated the self-defense account. The other "witnesses" listed in the police report heard something and/or called 911. To my knowledge, they did not observe the physical assault, so despite being listed as a "witness", they're really only an auditory witness, which doesn't do much to fill in the blanks..

3. I knew that little shit wasnt 140 pounds like the media has been saying. Police report says he is 6 ft and 160 pounds, If the media got those small details wrong, what else did they get wrong?

4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I believe an earlier article had his death certificate saying 155, but I would need to dig up the link again to be sure.

5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

First let me say that the actions of the initial patrol officers who responded and wrote up this report appear to be correct. The report even makes clear that they possibly intended to charge Zimmerman with manslaughter. There are problems with failure to secure/document the scene and find/interview ALL of the witnesses. However this may not be the responsibility of the responding patrol officers but of the major crimes investigation unit.

The failure in the Sanford PD is that the major crimes unit did not properly interview Zimmerman, perform any follow-up, or write a final report. It appears that they agreed with the local DA (who was removed) to just sit on the entire thing and take no action (despite the initial officers stating that Zimmernan should be charged). Overall this means that no proper investigation was concluded and no proper legal action was taken in writing by the local DA to either process or drop the case.

6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

There were two independent eyewitnesses that saw the struggle on the ground where Martin was on the top of Zimmerman. One is 'John' and the other is a 13 year old boy, Austin Brown.

'In addition, an eyewitness, 13-year-old Austin Brown, told police he saw a man fitting Zimmerman's description lying on the grass moaning and crying for help just seconds before he heard the gunshot that killed Martin.'

http://gma.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-shooter-told-cops-teenager-went-gun-030349812--abc-news.html

7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

As an amusing point, note that the police list the weight for all the witnesses. The police do not actually weigh the witnesses, but project their belief on what the individuals' weights and heights are.

Police reports in North Carolina do the same thing. We had a female neighbor who was a witness to a crime and she is quite vain about everything. She was short and a bit plump. The police report listed her weight as 160. She was quite mad. She called the local police for days demanding that they change her weight in the report to 115.

The local police said, "Ok, sure. Come down to the station and step on the scale. We will put down whatever it says."

She fumed for weeks... :D

8. Wow...they released the 13 year olds name? I hope for his sake he is black, because if that little boy is white, he is going to get beaten at school by the black kids when they find out.

9. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

If you want to focus on the race of the witness and their treatment.... then it may be more likely that a a 13 year black boy would get beaten at school..... "Watcha doing snitchin and talkin to the cops... don't you know the street code."