Official Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dr. Zhivodka, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Yes, I know it was sarcasm - but it is also a double-edged sword - by admitting that Obama is a better talker, implying Obama makes better points.

#41     Oct 16, 2008
  2. Looks like McCain is getting ready to puke, and Obama is calmly getting out of the way without looking at McCain, so as not to make him feel uncomfortable.

In that way, McCain is looking very presidential, as in Bush I.

#42     Oct 16, 2008
  3. Mercor

Mercor

Obama has a habit of smirking. Looks like a putdown

#43     Oct 16, 2008
  4. [​IMG]
    Lookout, Obama! The dirty, nasty old man is coming... eyeing your tush!
    (picture courtesy of user Businessman)

#44     Oct 16, 2008
  5. I did notice the looks on both their faces when they disagreed with what the other was saying.

It is counter-productive to getting their point across when it happens. It looks like pandering rather than relying on the strength of their argument to win the day.

Think if all the colleges with debating teams adopted making faces while their counterparts debated their points. Even kids on debating teams in high school do better than that.

#45     Oct 16, 2008
  6. Yannis

Yannis

IMAO: The Reasons Behind Obama’s Redistribution of Wealth

Why does Obama want to redistribute wealth?

Well, who does he want to take money from? Successful people with actual accomplishments, i.e., people Obama can’t relate to at all. Who does Obama want to give that money to? Rapists, murderers, and pedophiles who all tend to have lower income. I.e., he wants to give your money to degenerates, the scum of the earth, the worst people humanity has to offer, a.k.a. Obama’s close friends and associates. And what are they going to spend that money on? Drugs. Now the next murdering rapist pedophile you run into is going to be high on drugs thanks to your money, and if you shoot him with your gun you’ll get in big trouble for killing one of Obama’s best friends. He’ll put you in prison, redistribute what’s left of your wealth to more criminals, and use your family as forced labor in one of his meth labs.

If you don’t believe me, just read his tax plan.

:) :) :)

#46     Oct 16, 2008
  7. huh

huh

Your generalization here is pretty stupid. I'm assuming its sarcasm because surely you don't think Paris Hilton deserves her riches. There are successfull rich people and there are rich people that just happened to land out of a successful womans vagina. I wouldn't really consider falling out of a vagina into a mansion hard work.

So yes some of the money will go to useless scum, but some will also go to deserving people that weren't lucky enough to fall out of rich vagina. :D

#47     Oct 16, 2008
  8. It is very obvious that McCain loathe Obama, and Obama himself is very aware of this. Combined with McCain's short fuse and lack of facial control - makes it perfect for Obama to keep looking at McCain with an expressionless mimic -- which just infuriates McCain. That is what I would do if I knew someone had such an attitude towards me... it brings McCain quickly out of balance, and the raging emotions take control of McCain, blocking out his rational brain functions.

McCain tries to defend himself by constantly not looking at Obama, but it does not work well, and Obama gets under his skin easily every time. In yesterday's debate he tried looking out at the crowd to relax, and smile a little... but his conflicted mind came through very clearly and he only managed weird looking grins.

McCain has little to no self-control, is erratic and impulsive - incomprehensible and not ultimately not trustworthy.

After the debate - he showed his relief that it was over by his bizarre facial expressions - even for a very old man.

#48     Oct 16, 2008
  9. Yannis

Yannis

MAC'S SHOT AT A LATE-GAME WIN
    By DICK MORRIS & EILEEN MCGANN

The short term impact of the third debate will be to help Barack Obama. But the long term implications may give John McCain a needed boost. Obama looked good, but McCain opened the tax-and-spend issue in a way that might prevail.

Obama took the worst that McCain could hand out and came out looking good. McCain was the more aggressive debater, but Obama looked like the better president. The constants of the debate remained. Obama is smoother, prettier, younger and more presidential. But McCain had a feisty appeal, a Trumanesque approach that may resonate in these times of anger and unrest.

Obama seemed to rise above the charges and show his reasonableness and his ability to inspire confidence. McCain was like a trial lawyer, hammering out his points, but Obama came across with dignity.

Finally, John McCain came out swinging. In his feisty, aggressive style, he scored key points on spending and taxes. Coherent in a way that he has not been in previous debates, McCain repeatedly turned Obama's spending plans against the Democratic candidate. The continued invocation of Joe the Plumber brought a populist edge to the tax issue that it has lacked since Ronald Reagan.

Strategically, every debate is a chance to ratify the issues that will dominate the weeks that follow. McCain and Obama both made taxes and spending the key issues of the future. With Obama opposing a spending freeze and billing it as a hatchet as opposed to a scalpel, McCain was able to push the Democrat into an uncomfortable position.

McCain has now established the tax issue in a way he has not been able to do so far in the contest. Now he can widen the gap between the campaigns on this key issue. If the Republicans concentrate their campaign on the key issue of taxes and abandon the other lines of attack, they can use the lines developed in this debate to do better and better as Election Day nears.

There was no knockout in this debate. Obama emerged with class and charisma from a slugfest. He seemed to be the kind of man we want as president. But McCain was able to set up the tax issue in a way that could eventually close the gap.

Remember 1992. Clinton had a big lead over George Bush Sr. with three weeks to go. But then Bush and Quayle hammered him over the tax issue and his big spending plans. Day after day, the Republicans gained, and Clinton fell back. By the Thursday before the Tuesday election, Bush had gained the lead. Ultimately Clinton was saved at the bell by the announcement by Special Prosecutor Lawrence Walsh that he was going to indict Bush's Defense Secretary Cap Weinberger. That restored the Clinton lead and delivered the victory to him.

McCain is not as good on television as Obama is. So the immediate impact of the debate was to help Obama.

But the tax-and-spend issue is the one that Republicans want at the center of the race, and McCain put it there.

So this may turn out to have been a turning point for McCain, after all.

#49     Oct 16, 2008
  10. #50     Oct 16, 2008