Official DD thread - Big Dow

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by dieselman8, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Let's get it started folks. Who are the brave ones here trading the big DDs?

2. What is so Official about this thread, did you pay to make it official? :p

J/K of course.

Good luck with this one

3. There will certainly be a lot of interest in this product. This will be the biggest electronic index product in the U.S. I probably won't trade the first few days or week but will do so depending on the market makers and liquidity.

Good luck to all.

4. The Volume is anemic....so far.

5. Yeah, it is. Get in there and trade folks!

6. So, who exactly is trading this beast?

Even if I for some reason wanted to trade it, I wouldn't be messing with it right about now, the charts look horrible.

It would make sense that all YM traders trading over 4 contracts would trade the Big Dow, so what's up, is everyone on the YM doing less than 5...... or what's up, thought this was supposed to be a hit by all the YM traders?

7. I don't see what the hold up is. The spread is only 1-2 ticks wide.

8. frugi

frugi

One trouble is JM that you can't scale in/out with just 1 or 2 lots of DD, like you can 5 or 10 lots of YM. If I get up to 20 and liquidity is good I'll switch, but for 10 YM lots the equivalent 2 DD just isn't flexible enough (for me anyway).

Pity cause the reduced commission is a real draw.

9. galiano

galiano

Why day-trade DD?? YM has MUCH better intraday margin rate for traders. DD is for swing/positional, imo. Remember too, DD/DJ/YM are all fungible.

10. frugi

frugi

They look pretty much the same ($ for $) to me, but I may be missing something?

My broker charges

6094 / 4875 for DD
    1219 / 975 for YM

and YM is one fifth of the size of DD.

So 5 YM cost the same as 1 DD, which both give $25 per tick.

#10     Mar 27, 2006