Office365 vs Office2010

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by newwurldmn, Aug 4, 2017.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I had to upgrade from office 2010 to office365 because of licensing issues. I run my entire trading operation on excel and Bloomberg addins. However, since the installation my excel spreadsheets have slowed down. Typically I have about 10 different spreadsheets open (some calculating risk, some run as screeners, some for pnl analysis). Nothing is computationally intense and everything ran smoothly on Office2010.

With Office365, once a spreadsheet is "active" it works fine. The problem is that when I maximize a spreadsheet, I can wait up to 2 minutes while my computer freezes. Once the computer unfreezes, it works fine until I maximize the next spreadsheet. If I wait 24 hours to reuse the spreadsheet (say for a screener), the 2 minute freeze happens again. It's almost as if the spreadsheet is being loaded into memory from a cache and then after some time of no use, the spreadsheet is taken out of that cache and put somewhere else until I request it again. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

And for what it's worth, I'm running Win7, Dell Precision T5810 with Xeon E5-1620 3.5Ghz with 16GB ram. I run each spreadsheet in its own instance of excel using the "/x" option. Looking at the Performance Information and Tools everything is at 6.0+ except Graphics which is at a 4.8.

I have a similar issue with Outlook365 too. I don't know if it's related.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Win7? Are you running Win7 32 or 64?
    Do you have a separate video card?

newwurldmn likes this.
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

And I have an invidia graphics card I believe

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I would call MS. My office 365 loads slower than MS office 2010, then then it works fine and my PC has a slower processor and less ram.

newwurldmn likes this.
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

You can also bring up the Task Manager and see where the load is. I'm running a lot right now, 3 spreadsheets, 3 trading programs, outlook and 12 tabs on Google chrome. Your Disk usage might be high. Your HD might be too slow for this and you might need Win 10 64 and an SSD Drive. You don't need a new PC, just a clean install.

upload_2017-8-4_8-29-10.png

newwurldmn likes this.
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I checked that. Nothing seems out of line or spiky. But I don't know how to read some of it. It literally started after I upgraded office versions so I think there is a setting that has changed as part of the install.

7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You think MS tech support will be helpful? I will try it. this is a significant issue for me.

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Yes, I would call. They might have a diagnostic they can run.

newwurldmn likes this.
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I will try that this weekend.

10. just21

just21

Call Bloomberg, you have already payed for technical support with them, though they may not be open on the weekend.

#10     Aug 4, 2017
    newwurldmn likes this.