# of current daytraders...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Moc Yeah, Apr 6, 2009.

1. i have to believe that with all the prop firms out there, it has to account for at least 3x that amount.

#11     Apr 6, 2009
  2. Surdo

Surdo

Bird, yeah!

#12     Apr 6, 2009
  3. is that they go after the account of any unskilled traders, not their numbers

#13     Apr 6, 2009
  4. I thought I remember Don Bright saying 10k full time pro daytraders.

Sounds about right to me if you use some reasonable cutoff like NYOB suggested 500k shares traded per month.

But yeah no way there's 100k traders meeting that criteria, much less millions.

The majority are in NYC metro area. chicago probably has next most, and probably not much more than 500 there, if even that.

smaller pockets all over- boston, philly, miami, denver, atlanta, houston, austin, las vegas, all over california, etc. most of the offices have less than 50 traders per office, generally 1-3 offices per city. growing numbers internationally although still not a lot.

but yeah don bright would probably be a good one to weigh in on this....

#14     Apr 6, 2009
  5. What about those pictures of UBS with those huge trading floors? Do the guys that trade there not count as your definition of daytraders? I realise some of those floors aren't in the US but I imagine a few firms have floors similar to that size?

#15     Apr 6, 2009
  6. Surdo

Surdo

Most of them are salesman, salestraders and marketmakers(order clerks), but the big difference is the PAYCHECK!

#16     Apr 6, 2009
  7. ttonca

ttonca

My guess would probably be just over 100k although you can never be exactly sure.

I personally trade full time and truly find that like most other things you get back what you put in.

#17     Apr 7, 2009
  8. Really?

There are approximately 300 million people in USA. That's young/old/baby/men/women included.

3 million day traders. That 1 day trader in every 100 people???

Highly unlikely.

#18     Apr 7, 2009
  9. Loki

Loki

My definition of a daytrader is someone who ends in cash at the end of the day. That is easy anyone can do it who cares how many shares are bought and sold.

Now let's get to the tricky part. If 90% of traders lose money and 10% make money when it comes to daytraders I would say that maybe 1% makes money and 99% loses money.

Daytrading is probably the hardest way to make money when it comes to trading. I am sure there are some good daytraders out there, but I never met one. I mean a daytrader who makes enough money to make a living AND a daytrader who made money in the last 3-5 years.

That is a sucessful daytrader everything else is just noise.

If the OP is looking for daytraders anyone and his cousin can be counted in, but when it comes to successful daytraders, that's a totally different story.

#19     Apr 7, 2009
  10. I'm starting to come under the assumption... that like the economy, banking system, auto industry, etc... NO ONE HAS A CLUE... as to how many people daytrade for a living. LOL. Are there any prop firm owners out there that will venture a guess??

#20     Apr 7, 2009