# of contracts in regards to capital/profit target?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by pclark, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Do you use this kind of ratio mostly for scalping I take it? What is your avg profit target / stop loss (in points) if you don't mind me asking?

I must be overly conservative. I trade up to about 3 ES per 100k ~ roughly 1 ES per 33k.

#11     Sep 24, 2008
  2. That is the ratio I recommend as long as risk per trade does not exceed 1.5% of capital, 2% as absolute max. I shoot for 3X-20X+ reward.

I think you are overly conservative, nothing wrong with that, just hope you getting some interest through t-bills on the "dead" balance.

Anek

#12     Sep 24, 2008
  3. Thanks anek. I still trade and manage my trades based on "dollar value" not by points and I think that's what hinders me. I make as much with a 20k account as with a 100k account. I'll probably try to start sizing up next year.

#13     Sep 24, 2008
  4. kingjelly

kingjelly

Anek,

At what number of contracts did slippage start becoming a problem on NQ?

Thanks,

Preston

#14     Sep 24, 2008
  5. Look at your DOM...

At this instant in time you can buy 1 or sell 9 at market. slipage beyond that.

Max Slip Spread Q Ask Q Bid
    0 0.50 1 9
    1 0.75 9 21
    2 1.00 17 22
    X 2.43 27 24

#15     Sep 24, 2008
  6. 4 contracts on a 11k account???????

4 contracts are $240k (using round numbers, S&P at 1200).
    So you are managing $240k with only $11k?
    This is a 22:1 leverage.
    An adverse move of 4.5% would completely blowoff your account.

With one contract you would have 5.5:1 leverage, something reallistic.

#16     Sep 25, 2008
  7. Played around with some promising and aggresive algorithms to hedge and leverage small accounts... $10K

Three - five step martigales averaging down in varying increments. Mathmatical price inflection based.

The trading system manage risk and made profits reliably.
    Plays both sides starting with $5k ... but always had runaway blowup risks.

Reliably turns $10K to $20K in a session and spawns 2 more trading bots... but inevitably turns $50K to negative $50k.

Deep drawdowns happen so quick that even with reserves you blow out your account. Especially when your squaring and cubing your positions x 4.

#17     Sep 25, 2008
  8. I agree with Anek on his 1.5 - 2% risk per trade, its easy to have 4 - 5 losers in a row with this market with a 2 point stop loss. I trade the ES and am also curious as to anyone´s experience with scalping size on the ES. I have experience trading 10 - 15 with a large account, no slippage to speak off. This account, in theory, could trade 40 - 50 contracts using the 1.5 - 2% risk model mentioned.

#18     Sep 27, 2008
  9. pclark

pclark

I agree but I am only scalping 1.5 to 2.0 pts at the most. I am not trending etc.... I have yet to see it move that much during the day in a gap up or down (not that it couldn't) I have seen it first thing in the opening but, I am not in the market during the opening. What are the odds of a 4.5% move during the day straight up or down? I guess anything could happen right now in our crazy economic market.

Paul

#19     Sep 27, 2008
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

the math goes like this:

(X-Z)/50 >= max. DD in ES points

X: Your capital
    Z: broker's minimum margin

So if you have 5K in the account with 1 K min. margin, you can have an 80 points DD before you have to stop trading...

#20     Sep 28, 2008