OEX or something else?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Slim Harpo, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Is the OEX still a very popular option if one wants to play market direction or is there something newer or more popular if I wanted to say buy a Call if I felt bullish on the overall market?

My option playing is very simple..I buy Calls if I'm bullish on a stock and Puts if I'm bearish..(always very short term plays)...but I play individual stocks...So if I was say bullish on the overall market, what option (American style) would you option players recommend?
    Thanks..

2. =========================
    Not like it was and its got its own CBOE personality;

Compare it to multiple listed exchanges like SPY,QQQQ.

Wonder why August atm call dropped $7 to .05 today;
    maybe a bad quote,July atm call didnt drop near that much???

3. oex is old school.
    es is new.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Back in the late 80's early 90's the OEX were THE index options to play. If you mean popular as in tight bid/ask spreads,
    not the last I looked. You may want to look at QQQQ options. They have some of the tightest spreads I've noticed.

5. Thank you for the very informative replies..I appreciate each one..When I first discovered options many years ago it was the OEX that was highly traded as others here have stated...I didn't even have a computer then and use to trade the OEX with Waterhouse touch-tone trading...

Fast forward..............I took years away from options to devote my time to other things and recently when I decided to play around again with options I have mostly stuck to individual stocks. But I am thinking of an index and that is why I asked about the OEX..as already been mentioned, it is old school (like me..lol)

I have looked at those QQQQ and that seems to be a good vehicle I am searching for in addition to individual stock plays..

Thanks again and may your next trade be a winning one..