OEX market makers

Discussion in 'Options' started by roncer, Mar 13, 2007.

1. For some reason Roncer cannot understand that there are not particular market makers for certain strikes. Even in equities this is not so.

Market makers in equities are designated, and make the market in all option classes and all strikes (Each exchange assigns a MM firm)

There are not certain market makers for different strikes. Your brokers rep calls out your bid or ask in the pit, and the MMs respond. Any MMs can respond, not certain ones.

In regards to fill problems, imagine this scenario : Suppose you are trading SPX, and you put in a sell order for an option that has a delta of 50. Well the MM might not be inclined to post a bid for the option because he's hedging with SP, which has a delta of 250. Now if you were buying 5 contracts, it would be easy to hedge, and we have a different story. Food for thought..

#31     Mar 22, 2007
  2. roncer

roncer

Hey thegazelle,

OK everything I am saying is because I don't know. I only want to know. IF what you are saying is correct as chiguy previously stated a view similar to yours, then why is there this consistency in that certain contracts preform well posting in a couple of seconds and filling your order rapidly, while others consistently have very long lag times? This is what I don't understand. And I have been trading for about 20 years. Anyway hey thanks for commenting. :D

#32     Mar 22, 2007
  3. MTE says it best. Even if you don't use TOS as your broker, do yourself a favor and go here :

http://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/displayPage.tos?webpage=onlineSeminar

Sort by date, and go to 10/25 . Penny pricing and index options. Its free to download and it should help you understand better. The first part of the chat is spent on penny pricing, but the bulk of it is on the OEX/XEO. Hope that helps.

I've been listening to these puppies every day in the car on my hour + drive to work. Nothing like starting your morning fresh with an explantion on VIX options :)

#33     Mar 22, 2007
  4. roncer

roncer

thegazelle,

OK ....I hear you and thanks a lot for the information.

#34     Mar 22, 2007
  5. Roncer,

I honestly believe the fast consistent OEX options
    (like OEYPK today) execute fast and consistent mostly because of "Volume."
    Lets look at your options today and the volume each had:
    Option.....Volume
    OEYDJ..........301
    OEYDI..........218
    OEYDK.......1660
    OEYPE.......1287
    OEYPK.......2134

If you notice your best performing option (OEYPK) had
    7 times the volume that your worst performing option (OEYDJ).

Just like in trading stocks, volume is important.

Jeff

#35     Mar 22, 2007
  6. roncer

roncer

jeffalvinson,

Really funny.... I am just now talking with my wife and saying "I need to find out what the volume on these contracts is as that may be telling." And here is your revealing post. Yeah it sure seems that volume is a factor. DJ was no longer near at the money as the market moved up so much yesterday however I think you have nailed a very important part of what's happening. Many thanks. :)

#36     Mar 22, 2007
  7. roncer

roncer

jeffalvinson,

Where do you get your volume data? I trade with IB and they don't supply any volume information that I am aware of.

#37     Mar 22, 2007
  8. ----------------------------------------------------------

www.cboe.com

#38     Mar 23, 2007
  9. roncer

roncer

jeffalvinson,

Thanks .........still searching at the CBOE........is membership needed to get the volume on the OEX options?

#39     Mar 23, 2007