OEC Indicators Treasure Chest

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by veggen, Oct 14, 2008.

1. rickf

rickf

Anyone have either Linear Regression Channels and/or Heiken Ashi candles working within OEC Trader? Or are these be "too complex" of Easylanguage or C# scripts for OEC to import and process?

I love OEC Trader and OEC but I gotta admit I find their custom indicator development experience a bit lacking and fairly un-user-friendly. :(

#21     Feb 11, 2009
  2. veggen

veggen

I have tried 2 different versions of the Heiken Ashi bars, but neither of them worked, at least not for me.

But as stated earlier, I really do recommend Sierra Charting. Very cheap but very complex. Works great with OEC.

#22     Feb 12, 2009
  3. Greetings and Thanks for this thread!

I came across this thread and saw Trader273's (and other's) gracious and expert help while looking for .EL or C# scripts I could import into OEC Trader as what they now call Custom Indicators with their newest platform upgrade making it very easy to import custom indicators and strategies. I'm not ready for auto-trading, but need the platform to watch my charts and tell me to look at it.

Was looking for a copy of TradeStation's VervootCrossover.ELD to use with OEC and found this here thread last night. Yah I know i can get TS for free till 2010 but want it as an Indicator, not a trading strategy, and have spent way too much time this year learning new platforms and am so happy with OEC that I'm lookiing for help installing a few Custom Indicators and helping me if i have any problems if they don't compile first time, etc. I found this here for TOS http://www.thinkscripter.com/2009/03/31/vervoort-crossover/ but would need it (or something better!) for Vervoot's 2008 "Quest for Reliable Crossover" algorithm that could be imported directly into OEC as an Custom Indicator with some type of bool signals that can be used to trigger sound alerts from the platform for all the markets follow. Reason is i'm spending a tremendous amount of time going over (and over!) all my charts hoping to see a certain pattern and it often occurs when i'm asleep or doing something else.

Am also looking for another indicator for OEC that does a straightforward triple EMA crossover with RSI filter and have requested a price quote for that from hamfon.com but haven't heard back.

I'd be willing to make a donation to anyone for something that could be just dropped in to OEC and compile without any errors, and, also be flexible enough so that the important parameters (like the MAs) can be changed without recompiling it. I'm an old programmer who started out with FORTRAN and learned Pascal in college and can modify the PHP to customize WordPress. Have always traded "manually" and it worked for stocks, but need help with automation for futures.

David

#23     Sep 9, 2009
  4. I don't know if there's a specific name for the chart pattern, but I'm hoping I can find someone willing to write a Custom Indicator for me that is triggered when 3 or 4 of 4 different EMAs of harmonic lengths (like 20, 40, 80, 160) come together and then the start to open up like a fan with the price on top (or below) them.

Here's 6EU9 today showing that pattern before it rallies strongly 100 ticks.

#24     Sep 9, 2009
  5. #################################################

Are you actually using the 20,40,80,160 MAs in this 5 m. chart?
    What do you use as a stop and which future is this "EV" btw?

Meanwhile I'll search for that kind of indicator in my collection.

Ch.

#25     Sep 12, 2009
  6. I have quite a few TA booksand i've never seen this pattern given a name. It's basically a congestion-to-expansion crossover signalled by an multiple-EMA convergence. I'll name it after myself if nobody else has given it a name. It's a VERY POWERFUL pattern!

The chart posted previously is labeled 6EU9 at the top left. It's off the board by now. It was just an illustration and I didn't mark the date.

But here's a much more interesting chart of 6BZ9 (December 2009 Pound/USD) from Thursday last week when the BoE announced interest rates at 8 AM local time. The pattern ocurred three times in just 21 hours of a single day. The three rallies started at 3 AM and ended at midnight.

There are three fan-shaped rallies on this single day's chart that total 20 + 180 + 90 = 290 ticks, all long trades. Over $2k possible gains for a nimble trader on only one 6B contract.

The first was just 20 ticks starting at 3 AM purple Fib line and lasting only 20 minutes. It was pretty much a failed rally.

The second was a 180-tick rally starting at around 1.650 at 8 AM when BoE announced and it ended at just after noon at around 1.668. The setup there was NOT EXACT, so the algorithm needs to account for some slop in how close the EMAs are. The second rally started around the same purple Fib line as the 3 AM 20-tick rally but it kept going all day with just two retraces that didn't violate the uptrend.

The third started at 8 PM at 1.6650 and it ran to HOD at 1.6742 as marked at just past midnight. 90 ticks.

This is a SIGNAL that i use to think about taking a position and it's USUALLY good for at least 90 ticks up or down if it keeps going.

Total gains after these signals that day were 290 ticks on a $6.25/tick contract.

It's not a Strategy, so there are no stops from the pattern. It's a SIGNAL for me to consider taking a position. I would exit the trade based on stop-loss, MACD, and/or RSI as well as slope and channel adherence ... standard trade decisionmaking.

BUT. If you can think of any way to predict the length of the move, please share. Don't go by these two charts. Code it up and see it for yourself. It seems to work best for the major currencies (6B, 6A, 6E, 6C) but *sometimes* it works for CL if it's coming out of a long flat consolidation. The moves are USUALLY parabolic, unlike the Pound that day or the Euro earlier.

I'd like to have my OEC Trader play a WAV file to let me know when this pattern occurs on an open chart.

If anyone is willing to work with me on refining this and helping me implement it into EasyLanguage or C# for openecry, please PM me! I REALLY REALLY want to be able to have my trading platform sound an alarm, because evebn if i have it running, i might be in a trade or looking at something else and i miss a very big move signalled by this pattern. PLEASE HELP ME!

#26     Sep 12, 2009
  7. rickf

rickf

#27     Sep 13, 2009
  8. Thanks. I'll look at Alligator.

#28     Sep 13, 2009
  9. I've been using 21, 42, 84, 168 period EMAs based on H+L+C/3 price. This pattern shows up best on 1-minute charts for the currencies because it requires quick trade action. The takeoff can be parabolic and if so there might be no retrace until at least 10-20 ticks. It would be nice to have enough confidence in it for placing the trade automatically, but that's some time off.

The blue chart I posted is a 1-min chart.

#29     Sep 13, 2009
  10. Yah. Charts look similar. But having the four harmonic EMAs converge to within just a few ticks of each other just above the last close (bearish) or just below the price (bullish) is a very simple, straightforward, and precise trade entry signal.

"Balance Lines (Moving Averages) that use fractal geometry and nonlinear dynamics" seems very fuzzy in comparison.

#30     Sep 13, 2009