Odds of aluminum & steel tariffs passing?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cuddles, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

2. piezoe

piezoe

"insolvent" !!!! Have you lost your mind?

#12     Mar 2, 2018
    ElCubano likes this.
  3. gkishot

gkishot

Google & Facebook are our only hope.

#13     Mar 2, 2018

4. Political axiom: If you don't want a mess, vote Democrat.

#14     Mar 2, 2018
    VPhantom and Stocktracker like this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

Political axiom: If you don't want a mess, vote moderate.

Which in this day and age is Democrat yes.

#15     Mar 2, 2018
  6. piezoe

piezoe

Oh, you mean Gary Cohn, right? He might leave anyway, but I think he'll try to do it so it doesn't appear connected to any one issue. He's extremely skillful at public relations. He is one of the very few competent people remaining. Rats are good swimmers and they know when the Ship is about to go down.

#16     Mar 2, 2018
    Stocktracker likes this.
  7. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Canada is also preparing to go to war on trade with the US. Trump has taken it all too far. I'm not sure many Americans understand the amount their economy benefits from trade with Canada. Certainly Trump doesn't know; there has to be a defined negative impact in front of his face before he realizes he's made a huge mistake. Wonder why he's now said he might reconsider the TPP with a few modifications ? My guess is the negative ramifications for the US are becoming more clear and Japan has clearly said no modifications we'll do the trade without you no problem.

I've said all along that the real Achilles heel about Trump will be his protectionist trade policies. They didn't work in the early 1930s and I doubt they work now.

#17     Mar 2, 2018
  8. gkishot

gkishot

Which one, Elizabeth or Bernie?

#18     Mar 2, 2018
  9. Cuddles

Cuddles

In a Department of Defense memorelated to the proposed tariffs, Mattis said that while the Pentagon "concurs with the Department of Commerce's conclusion that imports of foreign steel and aluminum based on unfair trading practices impair the national security" the U.S. military requirements for steel and aluminum each only represent about 3 percent of U.S. production.

Mattis cited concerns about the "negative impact on our key allies" and said that therefore "targeted tariffs are more preferable than a global quota or global tariff."

Oh, so I guess we'll protect the country by pissing off allies

#19     Mar 2, 2018
    VPhantom and d08 like this.
  10. #20     Mar 2, 2018