Odds Hong Kong becomes sacrificial lamb in trade deal?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cuddles, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

The Chinese could really go HAM on HK, which they've wanted to for years but had shown restraint from fear of international condemnation and potential embargoes. They could give Trump his phyrric victory in the form of concession in return for no involvement (via sanctions, condemnation, etc...) in the way they handle internal strife.

So, will the Hong Kongese become the newest Kurds? Nobody cares about the Uhygurs anyway.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. Trump reportedly promised China's president that he'd stay quiet on Hong Kong protests as long as trade talks progressed

• President Donald Trump promised Chinese President Xi Jinping in a June that he would stay quiet on the protests in Hong Kong in exchange for progress in the trade war, CNN reported on Thursday.
    • The president has so far only offered a muted response to the months-long protests, despite global backlash over Chinese encroachment on the semi-autonomous city.
    • Details of Trump's call with Xi followed comments made by Trump on Thursday, in which he suggested that China should investigate former Vice President Joe Biden.
    • Trump's phone calls with foreign leaders are at the centre of a whistleblower complaint, which has sparked a formal impeachment inquiry.
    • US-China trade negotiations remain deadlocked.

3. Cuddles

Cuddles

https://thehill.com/policy/internat...4-china-trump-must-veto-hong-kong-legislation

China: Trump must veto Hong Kong legislation

China on Thursday condemned legislation passed by Congress supporting human rights in Hong Kong and demanded that President Trump veto it, The Associated Press reports.

“We urge the U.S. to grasp the situation, stop its wrongdoing before it’s too late, prevent this act from becoming law (and) immediately stop interfering in Hong Kong affairs and China’s internal affairs,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told reporters.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi added: "This bill sends the wrong signal to those violent criminals and its substance seeks to throw Hong Kong into chaos or even to destroy Hong Kong outright."

The "Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act" was sent to the White House after the House passed it Wednesday. The Senate unanimously passed the measure on Tuesday.

If signed into law, it would require the U.S. State Department to annually certify that Hong Kong has retained enough autonomy to qualify for the special U.S. trading consideration that it receives.

Additionally, the legislation stipulates sanctions against Hong Kong officials who violate human rights laws. Moreover, exports such as tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and stun guns are also banned by the legislation

Deadly unrest, sparked by pro-democracy protests, has percolated through the Chinese-controlled city for more than five months.

4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I don't think he can veto it. Wasn't it unanimous? I mean, he can, but it'll just come right back.

5. Cuddles

Cuddles

yes, and yes. He'd have to be willing to test GOP loyalties in the Senate and risk embarrassment. I though we had a bill come back and lose support after a veto already not long ago?

6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I've not doubt that if he veto'd it that it would lose some support - but enough to fall below the 2/3rds? I doubt that. Besides, how dumb would it look to veto a unanimously passed bill on human rights in HK?

Of course, no matter how dumb I think something is, Trump proves me wrong - so I wouldn't put money on my view.

7. I'm surprised Congress passed such a bill. Sure, ideologically looks great... endorsing American values and all.

But it could be a big mistake. China cannot back down on HK now without "losing face" as the "big dog, making the rules". If HK doesn't voluntarily fade away CCP has no alternative but to put their foot down with force. This bill is like poking a stick at a big angry dog.

And even if HK does settle down, the CCP will remember that the US Congress "got all up in our jammie"... and they won't be forgetting THAT!

Having China as an adversary is NOT a good thing!

:(

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  8. There is a lot of truthiness in what you said.

MrKJoe likes this.
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

Just a hunch, but I'm pretty sure China can figure out how to make rubber bullets.

Overnight likes this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

You must be a Colbert fan.

#10     Nov 21, 2019
    MrKJoe likes this.