Odds Czar: Simple Biases in the Futures Markets 2005

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Art Collins, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Actually I'm not using CBOT products at the moment. I'm trading emini S&Ps, Nasdaq and Russell.

#11     Oct 16, 2005
  2. setharb wrote
    hi seth-
    yes, tom willis is from willis and jenkins. he's a sharp, independent thinker and was actually featured in two of my books. "when supertraders meet kryptonite' and "market beaters".

i'm most partial to market beaters because i'm such a mechanical system freak. (i was kind of awestruck with the luminaries i was able to interview). kryptonite, though, is a pretty unique snapshot of how traders deal with catastrophic losses. their stories, although unusually large in scope, have common application as universal as losses themselves. my first book, "market rap: the odyssey of a still-struggling commodity trader" has some simple system ideas and lots of reflection on my personal ups and downs in the market. again, i was hoping to convey trader identification via the journey of one individual. (me). (i used to wonder "am i the only one who feels this way??")
    market beaters and kryptonite are receiving equally steady recognition. i'm proud to report they were both recently published in japan.

#12     Oct 16, 2005
  3. setharb wrote
    obviously, things like that are down to personal taste. i could tell you stories about some people that have ferocious negative feelings about richard dennis.
    i lean closer to the hero worship side. (not too close hopefully--i do want to maintain journalistic integrity). but even if there weren't examples of him successfully putting his money where his mouth was (such as the whole turtle saga), you can't walk away from talking to him without being profoundly impacted by his observations. it wouldn't matter to me if he never granted me another interview--just being able to kick market ideas back and forth with him was one of the highlights of my writing/trading career.
    yes, i think the interview is worth tracking down.

#13     Oct 16, 2005
  4. setharb wrote
    i've looked at pivots (and just about everything else). i think i'm using some of the principles particualrly in exit strategies. (if you're long for x number of bars and a high is made with sucessively lower highs on each side, then you act. i don't know how exactly on point i am with the concept--my programing is solitary and sometimes clumsy)

i found no problem making the transition because i was totally mechanical during the change. it was only a help to be able to put my orders online rather than have some idiot not pick up the phone or botch the order on the other end. and it was great going from routine full point slippage-commisision rips in the full size S&Ps to right-on-the-money fills in the eminis.

never traded with any otf the guys you listed. read a good book about the late charlie d--that's about it.

#14     Oct 16, 2005
  5. Did you obtain these biases through simple trial-and-error, or did some of your subjects share them with you?

#15     Oct 16, 2005
  6. poundtherock said
    this was all a product of my own reseach. i will be posting trade station performance summaries substantiating the biases within the next few days.

#16     Oct 16, 2005
  7. art ... thanks for answering my PM here

I am curious ... when you wrote your first book

you were struggling or at least not as consistently
    profitable as now ?

what time frame works best for you now and

why do you not trade FX or Crude or other volatile futures ? you seem to give signals for the USD / Euro
    so does that mean you sometimes do trade this ?

#17     Oct 16, 2005
  8. Thank you. By the way, did you have any favorite interview subjects from a technical perspective?

#18     Oct 16, 2005
  9. i v trader wrote

i'm using the emini futures for all the stock indexes. the computations use the 3:15 close as ground zero for the next day. i come up with 118400 for the two day average and 118500 for the five day. that's a buy bias(+1)

#19     Oct 16, 2005
  10. I don't follow the emini , but I'm sure I can come up with similar scenario for emini Monday close to make 2 days > 5 days and turn the count from (+1) to (-1) WHILE the price of emini (and my long position) goes down.

#20     Oct 16, 2005