October Trading Journals

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Hitman, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Hitman

Hitman

Bullet shoot-out but I missed a critical fill in the morning to make this the easy K that it should have been. 6800 shares on 3 of 6 shooting, +959 before commissions, +599 after, 3 bullets.

Pre-Market: A batch of downgrades on energy stocks, tons of shooting stars on charts said this is going to a bullet day.

9:30: I almost never put up bullets before market opens because I hate gaps, and in this case most of the energy stocks gapped down (DO didn't, but 2 prints later it went down 70 cents), picked out SGY, KMI, and LM, 3 stocks that didn't gap down much. Sold SGY above 40 and scored almost half a point on 1000 shares. Took KMI short and he did a mini squeeze which I covered half and sold a little more, but he had little volume in the morning and was a very slow downtrend, ended up taking half a point but on far less shares. As soon as I started those two positions I flipped to LM but he already went down half a point, and it went down 2 points with hardly an uptick, and it was too late to put up a fourth bullet. With only two active bullets my performance really struggled.

10:00: Churned a lot of SGY and KMI, and too a little DO long on what I thought was a OSX bounce, out for a nickel loss.

3:00: CCU had a huge offer and I took a bottom bounce play, I thought he wasn't done selling at 37 but he was, and I took a quarter profit and left half a point on the table. Took a little GE on futures bounce and out for a dime loss (could have took TYC/IBM, etc, GE was weak today).

If the pay period ends here it will be my third best month of the year and I fully intend to add to it tommorrow with another win. Strength and courage!

#141     Oct 30, 2001
  2. Hitman

Hitman

The energy sector has been my best sector as of late and it happened again today. I expect to focus heavily on this sector through the winter to next spring as almost all energy stocks follow their indices closely, and it is completely independent of S&P and Nasdaq futures. Unfortunately I had just 300 shares through the 2PM gift energy run and I sure hope I can play better next time.

Finished the month with a solid game, +1232 before commissions, +1027 after, 5900 shares on 6 of 8 shooting, 1 bullet. I should have scored so much more but I will accept today's result and move on. Stay tuned for November thread.

Pre-Market: What a surprise, I thought it will be a sell-off, I guess I was wrong. There was some investigation at 34th Street which caused yet another transit delay and I ran into the office 2 minutes before the market opened.

9:30: BTK up a lot and I took CRA long as it gapped down without any offer, he filled the whole gap and I took a nice 70 cents, wish I bought the pullback but by then I was all over the energy stuff. I thought OSX will sell-off but a huge squeeze hit and I took BJS at 25.87 and got a quick 20 cents scalp, KMI at 49.15 and a 20 cents scalp. Took CVX but he spreaded me 30 cents and I got 20 cents scalp. OSX hit yesterday's resistance and bounced off, I immediately switched to short mode, my bullet was up on WFT and when OSX re-tested intraday low I really thought it was time for another squeeze, one hesitation and I covered for a 30 cents scalp and the thing tanked 1 point. I covered just as energy made a new leg low. Very bad trade.

10:22: Took BWA long at 42.65 and dumped for a dime loss, my auto part index hit yesterday's high and bounced off resistance.

2:00: Took 300 shares of DO at 27 as energy started to move up, I really should have took more but I thought it would be like a Fed. meeting where they would buy on rumor and sell on the news. I sold flat and as soon as I saw SLB showing half a point higher I knew I was too late, had 300 BHI and I made a sweet 80 cents in just a few seconds. When I thought OSX peaked I shorted a little WFT and took another quarter scalp. I wish I was long a few K energy like Mrs. F, she has more courage than me on this kind of news plays :)

#142     Oct 31, 2001
  3. If I was forty years younger I'd be there with you and kick Mrs. F's butt, financially speaking, of course.:D

#143     Oct 31, 2001
  4. Hitman

Hitman

She is my best friend at work, and at some point we will definitely team up. She is more specialized and I am more diversified in term of sectors, but it will be a good combination for sure.

It is a tons of guts to hold a few K shares through news release, and she earned every penny in that move.

#144     Oct 31, 2001