Occupy Wall Street

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spikekiller, Sep 29, 2011.

1. I never said it was right, or that I agreed with it.
    Make hay while the sun shines!

#11     Oct 1, 2011
  2. Are we gonna go through this paranoid crap again? Explain to me how it works. How do big stakeholders in wall street instruct the media?

Granted, Exxon is not going to advertise if you keep doing stories on pollution. But this paranoid control of the media is crazy.

Media will cover anything if someone will watch it.

Most of the great stories never get covered because the programming director is too shallow to understand anything beyond his daily shallow existence.

#12     Oct 1, 2011
  3. Then how was John Stewart able to use stock footage and do a comedy bit about it if it is all so hushed up and blacked out?

#13     Oct 1, 2011
  4. Stock

Stock

Pay very close attention any time you see videos like this. Does the video show what happened before the police started spraying people? (with no edits) All of the ones I have seen conveniently leave that part out.

Not that I think police are saints and abuses haven't happened in this situation but you gotta have all the information.

#14     Oct 1, 2011
  5. no kidding, The bank loaned you money and you can't pay it back, but don't worry, we will bail the bank out so you won't have to owe money to a failed bank.

#15     Oct 1, 2011
  6. I think the girls roped themselves off. That's why the cops were using mace to try to disperse them out of their roped off area. But you actually have to read that part. It makes a better story if it is covered in such a way that most observers interpret it the way you did.

#16     Oct 1, 2011
  7. This is what I don't get. Liberals believe everything is public property. So why are they mad at NYSE? You can't be listed unless you are actually publicly owned.

There is only one stock on that exchange that they now like. They use to hate it because it treated labor so unfair, but now they like it, and that is GM because the government owns it. They consider themselves the government so now they own it and want it to go up in price.

#17     Oct 1, 2011
  8. Oh, and another thing deThommo, This is America, we don't have a disgruntled and unwashed underclass like you do in London. Here we are all free and equal. Being disgruntled and unwashed is a lifestyle choice. And if you want to be a snob and think you are better than someone else and look down on them, that may make you upper class in London, but here again, it is just a choice.

#18     Oct 1, 2011
  9. Hence my use of the word 'apparently'. I didn't start that rumour but I was interested in looking into it. It turns out it's not such a big conspiracy afterall, although covereage was thin on the ground or non-existant. Whether that's because of some kind of censorship or just lack of interest is clearly open to speculation.
    We don't really get the daily show over here.

#19     Oct 1, 2011
  10. I guess you can pretend that your disgruntled and unwashed underclass doesn't exist if it helps you to see this as all part of some bigger and more just democratic trajectory. You can pop on those rose tinted 'American Dream' spectacles if you like.

Do I look down on people who smash up their own community and pillage their neighbours' businesses whether they be global chains or local startups for their own petty superficial material hunger and then blame capitalism for it? Yes I do!

#20     Oct 1, 2011