Occupiers list of demands

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Max E.

Max E.

20$ per hour minimum wage is a funny demand. If these protestors even had the slightest idea of economics/how a business works they would have left that one off the list.

Most of the places that pay minimum wage are in the service industry and most of them would be broke if they paid 20$ per hour and didnt raise the cost of the goods they are selling.

All that would happen if minimum wage went to 20$ an hour, is the cost of everything would go right along with it, and the extra money the people would make would end up being screwed away on rent and other things that would go up as a result. And then they would be wanting 40$ per hour.

#11     Oct 7, 2011
  2. pspr

pspr

If minimum wage went to $20 an hour everything we normally go shopping at would have to close. No more Starbucks, no more grocery clerks, no more gas station attendents, etc., etc. etc. The businesses would have to automate or shut their doors. And all those employees would be out of work.

#12     Oct 7, 2011
  3. JamesL

JamesL

Saw a new term to describe the protesters, kind of as an homage to the Tea Party:

fleabaggers

(and if you saw the piece from Thursday's Daily Show, you would agree)

#13     Oct 7, 2011
  4. Max E.

Max E.

I was going over the numbers with a buddy of mine who owns 9 bars and nets about 3 million per year, he has about 15-20 full time employees at each of his bars.

If you do the numbers at about 300k net per job with 15 full time employees, at 20$ per hour times 8 hours per day that would mean 3200 per month per employee. That would mean his payroll would be about 45k per month(3200*15) or 500k per year just to pay his staff. He would be out of business in 6 of 9 of his bars he said. Add the cost of Obamacare to that list as well and he would be out of business in every single one.

#14     Oct 7, 2011
  5. Max E.

Max E.

I saw it, it was funny, i was shocked to see him paint them in such an embarassing light.

#15     Oct 7, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'd be happy if I had a buddy that owned even one bar. :)

#16     Oct 7, 2011
  7. Max E.

Max E.

Hanging out with him definitely has its perks :D

Unfortunately i dont live in the same city as him anymore :mad:

#17     Oct 7, 2011
  8. minimum wage went to $20 an hour

----------------

I know this guy, former management GM, he couldn't get the union guys who were making $27 an hour to sit on their ass for training. They wouldn't show up.

$27 an hour don't mean shit, so neither would 20. Anyone see the video of the GM guys drinking beer in the parking lot on their lunch hour. Everybody is a slacker.

So this guy I know is a trouble shooter, looks for and solves productivity issues. so the big boss says "we're going to cut your budget by 15%." Think about this for a second. What are we going to do? Cut back on 15% of the problems? The whole system is whack.

#18     Oct 7, 2011
  9. Fleebaggers was the term used to describe the WI dems who ran away during the collective bargaining standoff.

#19     Oct 7, 2011
  10. pspr

pspr

#20     Oct 7, 2011