Occasional Apocalyptic Epistles

Discussion in 'Journals' started by laziz314159, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Violating #1 and #2 at the same time is deadly..

:eek:

#11     Jun 12, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I agree. Interesting journal. Nice change.

#12     Jun 12, 2003
  3. ARf.

Notes on two contracts: Much too much for me to handle right now.

I cannot get beyond having my first one or two trades of the day be big losers.

Every time I think I'm getting a feel for the HK market, it starts doing something weird.

I don't know if it's the way I'm using the software or what, but 2 contracts is making my losers much bigger than my winners.

Today was a stinker:

10 winners, 11 losers.
    Avg win: HKD$396
    Avg lose: HKD$691

total points: -25
    pt/con: -.62
    pl (-HKD$3650) = USD$467.94

I have no idea how anyone survives long enough to do this for real without a simulator. Anyway, I've got a better idea of which of my trades are working, and why, so I'll try to formalize that in the next day or two, on my way to a real trading plan.

For the moment, I'm moving back down to 1 contract, because despite my best intentions, I'm not trading 2 contracts any differently, and it's making my trading worse (too emotional).

I imagine most traders' beginnings start something like this.

For those of you prepared to tell me to pack it in.. have a heart-- I've only seen this market for a handful of sessions-- and I've never tried to scalp (err, 'micro-term') trade anything.

Regards,
    Laz

#13     Jun 15, 2003
  4. Are you trading real money or a simulated account?

#14     Jun 15, 2003
  5. Simulated w/ Croc's 'FuturesTrader'

#15     Jun 16, 2003
  6. Ok, so now I'm really humbled.

12 trades.

2 Winners.
    total won $HKD 180
    total lost: $HKD 2520

total points: -30

p/l -2340, or $US -330

My only solace is that this isn't my worst day. A half solace is that the range was tiny.. 30 pts. (yeah, I know, I managed to lose the whole daily range-- but you shoulda seen my max drawdown-- much worse. )

Changes:

added medved quotetracker 1 min chart. Not sure if this is a good thing yet..

Goals for this week:

1. Trading plan. Right now I'm leaning towards the 'entry on retracements, with the trend', variety, with bracketed stops (the quotetracker chart is leading me here)

2. Stop losing as much money. I made a bunch of small losers today. The biggest was 9 points.. I called both tops on the button (but once after riding through the uptrend short, adding on at the top).

tiny range == max frustration. I could have been scalping for 3-4 ticks all day, but the chart was too mesmerising, adn the damn thing didn't seem to be going anywhere.

In other news, my poker play made serious advances this weekend. Placed 38th in a pokerpages.com freeroll tournament. I have the krieger book, and the sklansky & malmuth advanced book.. we'll see how it goes from here.

REgards,
    Laz

#16     Jun 16, 2003
  7. It's hard to offer suggestions without more disclosure of your trading. What parameters are you using for entry, exits, stop loss, buys and sells.

Why so many trades in one day?

#17     Jun 17, 2003
  8. I am swimming around in the neverland of 'feel'. I don't really have a strategy yet, just trying to figure out what works for me.

Today was a enter-on-retracement, with-the-trend sort of day. I could have made a lot more (simulated) dollars by just getting short and sitting on it for 20 minutes. Hard for me to do for some reason...

Todays stats:

13 trades/ 13 cts

8 winner/ 5 losers
    avg win: 296.25
    avg lose: 290

total pts: 34
    profit: HKD$920 which is US $117.96

Max loss was 7 pts.

In general, I'm happy with the results.

So, the central conflict here seems to be that sometimes I'm trying to scalp, and sometimes I'm trying to ride a longer trend, but I'm really not good at keeping track of which I'm trying to do at the moment.

Anyone have any guidelines on how to decide?

Thanks for reading,

Laziz

#18     Jun 18, 2003
  9. Awesome! two days in a row..

trades/cts = 11/13
    7w/4l
    Total win: HKD$2810
    Total loss: HKD$1890

Avg win: HKD$401
    Avg loss: HKD$472.50

[edit: without commish, this would be avg win 461, avg loss 412]

Total points: 34
    p/l: HKD$920 == USD 117

Green is long, red is short, baby blue is exit flat

Tonights chart, with trades..

#19     Jun 19, 2003
  10. what are you using for a buy trigger or a sell trigger?

#20     Jun 19, 2003