OCA and IB booktrader

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Bitstream, Jun 30, 2007.

1. jetq

jetq

hi,DAV,

there is one feature we daytrader really need is to one click mouse to send an bracket order which has different stop and target on booktrade, for example, YM, one click to buy with -10 to be stop and +20 to be target. the way booktrade works now is awkward for us:
    1. I know we can create shortcut to do this, we can specify stop and target in shortcut configuration, but since stop and target is different for different contracts, we have to create different shortcuts for everyone, for example, for YM, stop can be -10, target is +20, for ES, stop can be -1.5, target is +2.5, for ER2, stop can be -1.5, target can be 3, etc. considering there are always buy side and sell side, the shortcuts can be too many to remember, besides it can be challenge to hit correct shortcut when market is moving fast,:( .

2. config mouse action to do this, but the same mouse configuaration only works for that contract, for example, left click on bid size to send buy bracket order with stop -10, target +20, this will only work for YM, but stop is too bid for other contracts, i.e ER2. and mouse action is limited.

3. use order defaults configuaration in TWS configuaration. under FUT, add contracts I will traded, config the default stop and trailing, now TWS can only config default offset amount for stop and trailing, if user enter a bracket order with default setting, stop amount is used for both target price and stop price, but usually we want to have ratio > 1:1, for example, if trading YM, we want stop 10 points below, but target limited price to be 20 above. this is very useful when using booktrader to quickly enter order. please add a target limit price in default order offset amount.

I use method 3, and manually change target everytime when order is filled, this can be very time consuming and won't work when market is moving fast, by the time I want to change target, it already past my target etc. so please consider adding default target offset in order defaults configuaration.

and for bracket order to work with stock with wide range of price (i.e , $1 stock to $500 stock), set amount offset is not practical, for example, $1 offset is too big for 1$ stock, but too small for $500 stock, please add an option to choose percentage as default offset amount., for example, stop is 3% below, and target is 5% above

thanks a million time

jet

#11     Jul 3, 2007
  2. One disadvange of using a Limit order as part of an OCA group (atleast for globex) is that the limit order does not appear to be live on the exchange.

Lets say the limit order is sell at 800.1.

Ive find that the oca limit orders only gets filled if the price exceeds 800.1 .

Sometimes (but rarely) this has the advantage that you get a better price, but it does mean that other orders get filled at 800.1 but you dont (unless the price goes above).

If the limit order is not part of an OCA group it appears with a green bar in TWS and seems like its held on the exchange and
    you get filled according the normal globex limit order rules.

Perhaps IB could clarify what is going on.

#12     Jul 3, 2007
  3. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor