OBL's death and the Silver markets

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Optional, May 2, 2011.

1. How many hours before the announcement (or even mention of the announcement) did the silver markets absolutely shit themselves for no apparent reason...??

I am without proper data for the time, so I am a bit confused because it looked like 4 hours or so that the markets reacted to an announcement that hadn't happened yet.

Please tell me I'm wrong...

2. Let's face it. At this point, it's all one big shit show of front running and other illicit bullshit.

I'm so far beyond cynical that I fully expect this crap at all times.

3. def

def Sponsor

ok, you're wrong.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...aised-by-comex-for-second-time-in-a-week.html

Silver Margins Raised by Comex for Second Time in a Week
    By Pham-Duy Nguyen - May 3, 2011 4:35 AM GMT+0800

CME Group Inc.’s Comex unit raised margin requirements on silver trading for the second time in less than a week.

The minimum amount of cash that must be deposited when borrowing from brokers to trade silver futures will rise to $16,200 per contract from $14,513, the exchange said today in a an e-mailed statement. Silver futures dropped as much as 13 percent today after Comex raised margins by 13 percent at the close of business on April 29.

The new rates will be effective at the close of business tomorrow. Margins were at $4,250 a year earlier.

Silver futures for July delivery plummeted $2.515, or 5.2 percent, to $46.084 an ounce, the biggest decline since Jan. 4. Still, the metal has more than doubled in the past year. One futures contract is for 5,000 ounces, valued at today’s closing price at $230,420.

4. hmmmm....margins raised by like 10% causes the market to drop 10%?? Hmmmm, don't think so...???
    I guess it could move lower but that much??
    and not related to OBL???

5. def

def Sponsor

liquidations, snowball effect, 2nd increase in a week.

6. donnap

donnap

:D Thanks for a little dose of reality here in conspiracy land.

7. piezoe

piezoe

I thought Greenspan said tinkering with margin rates would not be effective? :D

8. Osama Bin Laden was still alive when silver crashed so obviously that was not a factor. The timeline of his death can be verified on twitter. A helicopter crashed during the attack and people near the area were talking about it. This was hours after the silver move.