Obesity is costing US 147B per year

Discussion in 'Economics' started by sosueme, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Very good, Thunderthighs.

So, let me get this straight....you would rather let a family starve to death than allow them by the grace of your superior majesty to sell an organ? You would take that choice away from them. Very compassionate.

BTW, while "selling your organs is all the rage" is very cute wording, it's nonsense. There is a finite number of people who need organs and it's likely that the organs that are sold may very be by people whose loved one just died. I realize it's a bit morbid to think about, but it's a lot less morbid when you think about how much the supply of organs will increase and how much we can reduce needless deaths of people waiting for someone to go through the pain and agony to give an organ for free. Or do those people's lives have less value than your right to dictate who gets what?

I think you have the architects confused, Thundershit. YOU mean to be an architect of society by imposing your will on others. I will neither compel nor prohibit anyone from selling their organs. Nor would I stop anyone from engaging in prostitution or taking drugs. Why? Because while I may not choose to engage in those activities, I don't have the right to dictate to people what they can and can't do with their own person. Unlike you, I don't have that fascist streak that makes me believe that everyone is subservient to my singular vision. I don't seek to be an architect, because unlike you, I'm not so weak that I feel I must subjugate others to my will to be powerful.

BTW, nice try with the fetus. But, you can't sell a fetus you're carrying because....it's not possible. You can only sell the child once it's born and then it's human trafficking. You should have the right to sell yourself, but you don't have the right to sell another person. A more interesting question is selling your services as a human incubator by becoming a surrogate mother.

As you might guess, I'm all for getting out her way. I guess there are some poorer women who feel some pressure to get into that line of business for the material betterment of their family. If she chooses to do that instead of getting a job as a waittress, who are you to prohibit her?

You sound just like a bible-thumper from Alabama - whacky right wing lunatic fringe.

#51     Aug 12, 2009
  2. Except for the fact that I am an atheist liberal, and what you're proposing puts YOU out there on the fringe, and comfortably so. Details.

#52     Aug 12, 2009
  3. BTW, a lot of these surrogate mothers also donate an egg - so, they're literally selling not only space but an actual part of their body.

Think, man. Think.

Lots of people feel compelled to do lots of things. It's ultimately their choice and their families'. Is it really your choice and not theirs?

#53     Aug 12, 2009
  4. So a liberal seeks to dictate what people can do with their bodies. How is that liberal?

I'm on the fringe, dude. I believe in legalizing drugs and prostitution and lifting prohibitions on people supplying organs.

#54     Aug 12, 2009
  5. If nobody has a right to do things to my body that I don't want done, how come I can't stop people from putting car exhaust into the air I breathe?

#55     Aug 12, 2009
  6. I am exactly 29 pounds overweight. I always will be. Despite exercise and eating low-fat, no-taste food, it never comes off. So fuck it. Three points of BFI don't bother me.

The title of this thread is inaccurate since it is incomplete, and leads one to assume that obesity in any American costs the taxpayer money, which is false, and growing more false daily. Obese people living on government health care are indeed costing the taxpayer money, and the OP is correct that Hussein has no intention of fixing any real social problems. He is a politician, remember? Change? LOL! Some of you actually bought that line! But the real issue of the OP should either be welfare (socialized health care) or obesity, but cannot be both.

However, in growing numbers due to layoffs, obese people, like anyone else in the population, are losing insurance and being forced to pay cash for health care, or simply do without. They bear no part of any accusation that the obese cost the taxpayer a dime.

#56     Aug 12, 2009
  7. #57     Aug 12, 2009
  8. But how much of that "low-fat, no-taste" food are you eating? Better to get a reasonable amount of healthy fats, and focus on fiber-rich foods and reasonable amounts of protein, which will sate you better. Make sure that your exercise is not limited to aerobic, although aerobic activity is good and necessary. Resistance exercise builds muscle which, all else being equal, burns more calories even when you're doing nothing. If you focus more on fresh fruits and vegetables and avoid the starches, you will make progress unless you have a medical condition.

#58     Aug 12, 2009
  9. Can't argue with the logic, eh? Can't think why you have the right to dictate to others. Must be very frustrating for you.

#59     Aug 12, 2009
  10. Move to a place with no cars. Problem solved.

#60     Aug 12, 2009