Obesity is costing US 147B per year

Discussion in 'Economics' started by sosueme, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Answer the question, Thundershit.

What gives you the right to dictate to other people what they can and can't do with their bodies?

#41     Aug 12, 2009
  2. I already answered your original question. As for your new and improved question, people who are created equal should not be reduced to selling their organs out of financial need to those who can afford to pick up a few extras. You aptly blur the line between rights and needs to suit your purpose. This from the party that adheres to the precept that the end justifies the means, eh? By the way, you disgust me. You really do.

#42     Aug 12, 2009
  3. I don't give two shits if I disgust morons or not - especially ones who do not understand the question is always the same. The only one confused about "need" and "right" is you, moron. This has nothing to do with need and there is absolutely nothing that guarantees that only the poor will sell their organs, so your assertion has no basis in fact.

What gives you the right to dictate who should do what with their own organs out of financial need or otherwise?

I'll dumb it down further so you understand: If you don't want to sell your own abused organs, fine. But what gives you the right to prevent me from entering into a voluntary transaction with a piece of my own property? What gives you the right over somebody else's body?

#43     Aug 12, 2009
  4. One more thing....

What right do you have to tell even a poor person that he can't sell his kidney to come up with the money for a downpayment for a house if he values the house more than the kidney, oh dumb little fascist?

#44     Aug 12, 2009
  5. Thank you for making yourself plain, Angrycat. The reader can now see exactly who and what you really are. And if at any time you should ever feel compelled to sell any or all of your remaining organs, I wish you much success in your endeavors.

As an aside, this is perhaps my first exchange of views with a brain donor.

#45     Aug 12, 2009
  6. LOL, thunderpoo!

So, you realize your position is illogical - you, in fact, have no more right to dictate whether a person has the right to sell his kidney than you have the right to force a woman to carry a fetus to maturity or dictate what people may eat or whom they can sleep with and marry.

But, since you don't have the balls to stand up, be a man, and admit that you never considered it that way, that in fact maybe you don't rights over others' bodies. Just as conservatives don't have the right over women's reproductive rights or over whom we sleep with or marry because.

You're a pussy. That's your problem. Too weak to admit that you're wrong.

#46     Aug 12, 2009
  7. awe....hit the submit button mid-edit.

But, I think even a weakling like you gets the point, Thunderthighs.

#47     Aug 12, 2009
  8. I am from Europe and just came back from a 3 week trip with my family to New England. We went to Mystic Aquarium and the real attraction for me were not the fish but the people. I have never seen so many fat people in my whole life. Fat is relative but those people weighed 200-300 kilos and many could not walk anymore. It was absolutely shocking. If they say 25 % of the US population is overweight - i think its more 30-40 %. I wanted to tape it so that people back home could watch it because they probably would not belive it, however my wife did not allow it.

The funny thing is that when you see Hollywood movies and you see "normal" live in the US there are no overweight people in the movies. Seems you guys sell yourself one way to the world and yourself but the reality seems different - extremely different. Its sad to see that.

During my vacation i saw that "richer" people (in one expensive resort there were onlly super trained persons) and people that lived in Cities were realtively normal. Especially Boston. But in the countryside things got extreme whereever i looked. It was a desaster. It seems wealth and education fights obesity best.

The reason however are obvious to me. Killer number one are the soft drinks. In my point of view they should be taxed like cigarettes. In restaurants they think you are cheap when you just want water to drink. Seems in the US water is for washing and not for drinking. Do you guys know how much sugar is in one can of coke ?

Another important factor is just the sheer size of the servings you get in restaurants. Seems "all you can eat for 5.99 $" is a good deal for you guys. At one restaurant i ordered 1 egg and ham for breakfast. I could not believe what they served. It was food that my whole family would not eat for breakfast. Is that now a good deal to stuff all that food in your face ?

America needs not only a green revolution but also a weight revolution. Of course politicians wont start a revolution and say anything against fat people in a democracy where fat people have the majority soon. These cowards just shut up it seems to get re-elected.

Yes we can -- is perfect when you addd .. "can get fit again". You need a complete change in society. The food industry needs to be treated the same way as tobacco industry. You dont need "free choice" in what people can eat - you need a dictatorship that taxes unhealthy and not natural food (look at all that disgusting food made purely from chemicals) into the ground. You need a national health and excercise plan. And i get extreme here : health insurance costs should be linked to weight and fitness. Only money brings some people back in line.

I could go on and on and on here ... please America dont export this obesity plague to the world and instead be a leader again -- this time in the right direction for the world to see.

#48     Aug 12, 2009
  9. I don't drink soft drinks or eat junk and I'm on the low end of normal weight, so I feel your shock. I've lived here for 35 years and I'm still a bit shocked how much portions have grown.

What do you expect politicians to do exactly? Show up at people's houses and force them to exercise at gunpoint? We already had one governor who made an example of himself by losing weight and encouraged everyone in his state to join him. You can have a revolution when others are oppressing you, but what kind of revolution are you talking about when the issue is personal habits? That requires internal motivation to change.

Watch out for Europe. Obesity is a growing problem practically everywhere in Europe.

#49     Aug 12, 2009
  10. By extension, does that mean pregnant mothers should be allowed to sell their unborn fetuses to the highest bidder? (Note, this goes beyond the measure of freedom of choice as we currently understand it.) And in such an environment where selling one's organs is all the rage, how long before members of financially strapped families are compelled, or made to feel compelled by others, to sell an organ or two in order to make ends meet?

It's a brave new world, Annie Rand, and you are its architect.

#50     Aug 12, 2009