Obesity is costing US 147B per year

Discussion in 'Economics' started by sosueme, Aug 12, 2009.

1. sosueme

sosueme

very very sad indeed

#11     Aug 12, 2009
  2. The only way those companies can make money is if consumers buy their product.

Nobody forces these people to shove alarming quantities of shit-for-food in their mouths.

#12     Aug 12, 2009
  3. Oh yeah.....and, you know, it worked so well in every other country its ever been tried in.

This is so ridiculous. It's not the turn of the 20th century and none of these diseased ideas have been tried yet.

oh, and I HAVE gotten into my representatives faces about this reform bill. I told them if they vote ANY other way than "no", I will not only vote against them, but I will also donate money to their opponent and work on the opponent's campaign.

I'm starting letter writing efforts with a bunch of seniors in my district (I am not yet a senior) so that an avalanche of protest letters falls on the congress critters when they arrive back in the swamp of Washington D.C.

#13     Aug 12, 2009
  4. sosueme

sosueme

So if the fat people have freedom of choice as to their size and condition, then they can pay for the consequences themselves by buying their own health insurance.

#14     Aug 12, 2009
  5. Bingo! And they will pay a higher premium - as it should be.

#15     Aug 12, 2009
  6. sosueme

sosueme

yes and if and when the weight starts to fall off then maybe their premiums will fall.

#16     Aug 12, 2009
  7. Yes, the obese weigh heavily on the health care system. But I guess you folks decided to overlook the preventative component of the proposed program. Rugged individualists that you are, you would prefer a form of leper colony for the presently obese and uninsured.

But why stop there? Smokers, of course, should pay higher rates, but what about those people who "choose" to live in areas that have higher crime rates and are therefore more prone to attack and injury? Shouldn't they pay more? And aren't there more health threatening pollutants in metropolitan centers? And what about people who choose important and responsible careers that can regularly induce harmful stress into their lives? Is everyone else just going to sit there and subsidize them? And what about pedestrians and cyclists who choose to commute without steel chassis protection from Hummer drivers? Aren't they just begging for medical attention and should be charged accordingly? The list goes on if you are imaginative enough.

The argument regarding the effect of the obese on the health care system has merit. But if you choose to open that door...

#17     Aug 12, 2009
  8. bit

bit

#18     Aug 12, 2009
  9. #19     Aug 12, 2009
  10. exactly. They do, in fact, fall now.

Unless it's a medical condition (hypothyroid, for example, or polycystic ovaries), the only prevention or reversal of obesity is the lifestyle of the individual. There's no way the health care system can prevent behaviours without robbing individuals of liberty completely.

#20     Aug 12, 2009