obama's handling of the economy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by morganist, Nov 20, 2009.

obama economic competence view

1. is obama handling the economy well

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. is obama doing satisfactorily

12 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. is obama doing poorly

20 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. is obama losing control

54 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. TheMan

TheMan

hopefully we get him out before too much damage is done

the only good thing this may do is set the stage for a flat tax

which is a long shot

regardless that sob needs to be out asap

#21     Nov 21, 2009
  2. nickdes

nickdes

Obama the community organizer/ muslim is out of control and I believe we are likely to be at the beginning of a decade long recession.

#22     Nov 21, 2009
  3. Actually I don't think Obama is out of control, I think he is nicely "contained".

He has picked a nice issue to keep him busy (health care) and frankly I opine he doesn't care one way or the other if it passes.

The african american community has health care, so it is not a race issue, he will always have health care as other member of Congress etc, so there is no political capital to be lost or gained within the party ranks.

When health care is off the table, probably phase 2 of his ignorance should dawn.

In the meantime I enjoy reading about Obama's world tour and tv appearances.

#23     Nov 21, 2009
  4. michele and barack obama are the two people who voted that he is doing a good job .... fantastic job wasnt listed as one of the options.

#24     Nov 21, 2009
  5. Vista

Vista

I never thought a U.S. President could be as devastating to the country as this guy is. But, on the positive side, he's the best man conservatives ever had working for them.

#25     Nov 21, 2009
  6. piezoe

piezoe

I am one of the now 5 who voted that he is doing well. Of course i'm not happy with the U.S. economy, who could be? If you are one of those on the take these last few years and are now sitting pretty with your ill begotten millions. than I suppose you also recognize that the economy is wrecked, but you don't care, you've got yours.

I looked at this issue from the standpoint of what Obama was handed, the very brief period he has been in office, and what his decisions have been. He was handed a disastrous situation, but at the same time the government response had already been set in motion by the Bush/Cheney administration. His major decision was not to change horses in mid stream but continue with the programs all ready begun. I think that was the right decision, but that does not mean that there might have been a better way to handle the situation had he been involved from the beginning. He was not.

Obama's style of leadership is one of compromise and of consensus building. He is proving to be fairly conservative. His appointments have been quite good overall in that he has appointed highly qualified individuals. I certainly haven't agreed with all of them, but the fact that these appointments have gone to the highly qualified is a very refreshing change from the previous administration's policy of putting ideology and political considerations above competency; remember: Brownie, Miers, Gonzales, that horrid idealog Ashcroft, (uncharacteristically qualified, but dangerous), Cox, and the list is practically endless.

So on a relative scale I have to give Obama high marks. On an absolute scale of course, where no consideration is given to what one has to work with, his marks on the economy could not be better than say C- and possibly no better than D+. But realistically look at the constraints and you have to conclude that it would be extremely difficult to do better without creating an even worse nightmare down the road.

#26     Nov 21, 2009
  7. I would give Obama high marks from the bankers' perspective. They have never been wealthier.

As for his domestic spending and debt management, the boy needs to go to school and learn something. Nobody can get out of debt by incurring more and more debt. Ask anyone with a credit card.

#27     Nov 21, 2009
  8. piezoe

piezoe

I could not agree more. And yet I understand why the spending now. It is because massive and sudden de-leveraging in the private sector must be compensated by a corresponding leveraging up in the government sector to prevent a total collapse. We have experienced out of control deficit spending in both defense and medicare/medicaid for many years going back at least as far as Reagan, and possibly further. This reached it's culmination in the recent Bush years when the deficits climbed enough to eclipse all the prior combined. This made it virtually impossible for there to be a sudden and precipitous drop in government spending without creating a calamity.

There is an awareness that fiscal responsibility must be a priority going forward. For example, the Health Bill now before the Senate has been estimated by the CBO to save hundreds of billions in future health care expenditures compared to projected costs if nothing is done. This is the direction we must move, and the defense budget must be next. I'm not at all happy with the administration's exempting Defense from their request that Departments submit two budgets: one with no increase and the other with a 5% cut. Truth is, if we are to avoid massive inflation, we need a 5% cut in defense every year for the next ten, starting with the 2011 budget.

#28     Nov 21, 2009
  9. I don't think you can fully blame a guy who has been in office for not even a year yet, when the man who was before him served 8 years as president.

If you believe this guy(Obama) is fully responsible for all of this then you have some serious cranial damage.

#29     Nov 21, 2009
  10. Oh yeah I can, the guy has incurred more current and future national debt than all previous Presidents combined. Top that one, in less than a year.

As for your sweeping generalization, he did not originate most of these problems, he just made them worse with his choices. Yeah, there's change for ya. End.

#30     Nov 21, 2009