obamanomics question...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by blackbook, Sep 9, 2010.

1. could someone please explain to me how restoring roads and bridges and rails is going to boost the economy? sure it will be a booster shot for companies that produce the tools/equipment for these jobs, and road workers, rail builders and bridge painters but how does that help the economy as a whole?

2. emg

emg

Look at japan during the lost decades or during the 90s. the japanese gov spend billions of dollar repairing and building new roads, bridges, subway, elevated trains, airports, etc. Yet, japan have not recovered from the debt bubble burst in 1989.

That said. we are following japan path. this will be a very long recession

3. The only jobs which REALLY count.... are private sector jobs, driven by ongoing demand.... which produce a profit after labor is accounted for.

All government jobs are non-sustaining.... a drain on resources. Some of which are deemed desirable/necessary... both in short and longer term. Others are flotsam.

(Our Federal and State governments are SHITBUCKETS FULL OF FLOTSAM ALREADY.)

4. Wal-Mart is worth $250 billion approximately and Wal-Mart has 2 million employees.

So you can start 8 new Wal-Marts and create 16 million jobs with $2 Trillion (not sure) bailout money instead of giving Trillions of dollars to bankrupt companies and banks.

5. In IL the road building etc was a shot in the arm for the unions. These guys had one month off striking in the middle of the projects. Bet they got better terms otherwise they wouldn't be back at work.
    What a joke. Now they are back building Americas road to ruin.

Can Obama turn the recession into a depression? YES HE CAN!

6. "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, REGULATE it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."-- Reagon

7. 1. Ban futures trading
    2. Provide free public transportation

And breakup big corporations into smaller entities to solve unemployment crisis and to promote competition.

8. pspr

pspr

You've used the quote out of context. Here is the entire quote:

In 1986, President Ronald Reagan said: “Back then (before 1981—ed.), government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”

9. olias

olias

I'm sure I'm over-simplifying it, but I'd rather see money spent to build, repair things than go to pay unemployment benefits.

10. Don't be so ridiculous. We can't have competition. Leave that to the capitalists.

#10     Sep 9, 2010