Obama’s Aunt: The System Took Advantage of Me

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trader666, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Obama’s Aunt: The System Took Advantage of Me

In her first interview since receiving asylum, Zeituni Onyango, President Obama’s aunt, portrayed herself as a victim of U.S. immigration policy, telling reporters: “I didn’t take advantage of the system. The system took advantage of me.” (CBS News, Sept. 21, 2010) Entirely unapologetic for residing in the U.S. illegally, Onyango recounted how she had become an illegal alien, how she first came to the U.S. from Kenya in 2000 with the intention of leaving, but continued to stay after experiencing health problems. (Id.) However, even when her health improved, Onyango continued to live illegally in the U.S., residing in public housing and collecting $700 monthly disability checks from the government. (ABC News, Sept. 21, 2010)

In March 2003, Onyango was first ordered into an immigration court in Boston, where she requested asylum in an attempt to stay in the U.S. (Washington Post, Apr. 2, 2009; ABC News, Sept. 21, 2010) The judge turned down her request and ordered her deported the following month. (Washington Post, Apr. 2, 2009) After a series of unsuccessful appeals, Onyango again was ordered to leave the country in October 2004. (Id.)

Although twice ordered to leave the United States, Onyango never did. Instead, she stayed, attending high-profile events such as Obama’s swearing in ceremony as the junior Senator of Illinois after the 2004 elections, as well as Obama’s presidential inauguration following his 2008 victory. (CBS News, Sept. 21, 2010) She also continued to live at the expense of taxpayers.

In this latest interview, Ms. Onyango freely admitted that she knew what she was doing was illegal, telling the reporter “I knew I had overstayed.” (CBS News, Sept. 21, 2010) Nonetheless, she said she owed nothing to the United States. When the reporter reminded her how much the U.S. had given her, she retorted that the U.S. was “here to help people, help the poor, help other countries, and take care of women.” (CBS News, Sept. 21, 2010) The reporter responded with “That’s what the United States is supposed to do?” Ms. Onyango answered, “And you have to give me my right like any other person’s right (sic).” (Id.) “If I come as an immigrant,” she said, “you have the obligation to make me a citizen.” (Id.)

http://www.fairus.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=23550&security=1601&news_iv_ctrl=1721#1

2. Seems to be a prevalent attitude amongst 3rd world immigrants.