Obama’s Push for Africa Unheeded

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lucrum, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

A year after urging U.S. companies to deepen their involvement in an African economic renaissance, President Barack Obama doesn’t have much to show for the effort.

U.S. companies still lag behind European and Chinese enterprises on a continent that is home to six of the world’s 10 fastest-growing economies. Apart from oil companies such as Chevron Corp. (CVX) and retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) and YUM! Brands Inc. (YUM), U.S. businesses have been reluctant to brave African security risks and trade headaches....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-28/obama-s-push-for-africa-unheeded-by-u-s-companies.html

2. pspr

pspr

Why would anyone want to do business in depressed backwards regions of the world? Other than exploiting the resources there isn't much business opportunity.

You don't hear of McDonalds opening a bunch of restaurants in Haiti either. Obama just blew about $100 million on a safari vacation for his family. That was all.

But, he's saving $70 grand by not allowing White House tours so he can run around working naked all day. :D

3. Eight

Eight

I can't imagine why anybody would want to have a company in Africa. Take Uganda for an example: Chinese merchants were the upper middle class. Idi Amin came to power and ordered them all out and to take only a suitcase. South Africa became a horribly crime-infested shithole after apartheid.

It all makes for some great drama though. Watch the movie "Dogs of War", from a novel by Frederick Forsythe [or read the novel I suppose]. One of my favorite movies.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Funny how that happens isn't it. Africans just aren't good at managing their affairs, let alone anyone else.

5. pspr

pspr

Oh, I wouldn't say that. Look how well they are doing in places like Haiti.... Oh wait. Never mind.