Obama will save USA by charging Canadians at the border (this is not a joke)

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pagan Sunday, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Canada has charged a similar fee on US (and other) visitors for years, seems like fair turnabout.

#41     Feb 19, 2011
  2. clacy

clacy

You can't be serious, can you? No country (Russia) is going to f*ck with Canada, because doing so would be the same as f#cking with the US.

Do you honestly believe that the Russians wouldn't start making claims on your resources up north, were it not for the US military?

The point isn't whether someone has attacked Canada. The point is that your government obviously knows that you don't have to spend huge amounts of money on defense due to our military superiority and proximity.

#42     Feb 19, 2011
  3. Canada is a nuclear power and doesn't need the US to protect it's Arctic rights. The "joint defense" arrangement with the US is as much about keeping envious American eyes from looking north as anything else.

#43     Feb 19, 2011
  4. Visaria

Visaria

I think the USA should propose to Canada that they become one nation.

Think of the cost savings!

#44     Feb 20, 2011
  5. It was announced today that Canada is preparing to increase it's commitment to assisting the United States in its war against terrorism.

They have promised to commit two of their largest battleships, 6,000 armed troops, and 60 fighter jets.

However, after the exchange rate is factored in, that comes down to a canoe, two Mounties and a flying squirrel.

#45     Feb 20, 2011
  6. This is true for the most part. It is cheaper for myself to drive to Detroit and take a flight out of Detroit rather than fly out of a Toronto airport most of the time.

But as to the $5 fee, again it's not about the actual dollar amount. The agitation has to do with the principle behind the fee.

#46     Feb 21, 2011
  7. Well that is the theory and the prevailing wisdom, but think about what you're saying. And think about any time in history when the US military has protected Canada. Yes, we are both a part of NATO, but there is absolutely no time in history where the US military has directly protected Canada. In fact, the USA invaded Canada in the war of 1812.

The Russians are already making claims on Canada's territory in the north for one, as is the USA. So that point is mute.

Canada doesn't spend huge amounts on its military because we're not warmongers and are not dumb enough to spend so much as to bankrupt our country.

So yes, because Canada is a member of NATO, the USA would defend Canada along with the other countries in the alliance. But in no time in history has this happened. If you want the truth, in many ways the American military is more of a threat to Canada than a benefit. :eek:

#47     Feb 21, 2011
  8. The other day I was talking to a 5-star General and he said we should invade Canada and take whatever oil they have. And maybe get their leader hanged on a piece of rope. So yeah, I guess you are right.

#48     Feb 23, 2011