Obama White House Wants To Track And Tax Your Mileage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rc8222, May 6, 2011.

1. Ricter

Ricter

In your opinion, what is the most reasonable way to raise money for road maintenance?

#21     May 6, 2011
  2. Mercor

Mercor

A gas tax is a mileage tax

#22     May 6, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

(Raising hand) Oooooh ooooooooh I know that one.

Stop wasting the revenues they already have and use the savings for road maintenance.

#23     May 6, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

Ok, fair enough. But if the condition of our roads is sub-par, to put it mildly, and assuming the cities, counties, and states are cash strapped, we should raise the gas tax... ?

#24     May 6, 2011
  5. Ricter

Ricter

Two problems:
    1) One man's waste is another man's treasure.
    2) The Australia problem.

#25     May 6, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Waste is waste where I come from.

We have to pay for road work in Australia?

#26     May 6, 2011
  7. Out of the TRILLIONS in income tax receipts.....gas taxes.....phone taxes......estate taxes......capital gains taxes.......vehicle property/sales taxes.......etc, etc, etc.

I think THEY have enough to fix and maintain roads!

#27     May 6, 2011
  8. The next time these bullshit artists do their whole song and dance about fuel efficient vehciles as a defense against soaring gas prices, just read this little tidbit of hypocricy.

"Concerned that increasingly fuel-efficient vehicles will reduce revenue from current gasoline taxes, state officials in Oregon, Iowa, Nevada, and Texas already are considering tax proposals based on mileage driven"

#28     May 6, 2011
  9. AMT,

You forgot the toll fees which were purposely created to fund highway and tollroad maintenance. The typical bullshit about being rescinded once the toll was funded never occurs. Instead it becomes another cash cow and crony slush fund to blow on more excess spending.

#29     May 6, 2011
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Although slightly off topis this reminds me of a piece I saw on the local news. A particular traffic light camera was no longer collecting sufficient revenue to pay for it's upkeep so it was removed. I guess public safety was never really the goal to begin with.

#30     May 6, 2011