Obama: When It Comes To Reparations, We Need Deeds Not Words

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jul 29, 2008.

1. He's an empty suit??? hmm...what would you call Jon Mac?

I am however, getting sick of the free ride Obama is getting.....but just wait....the press is fickle and I will state right here and now that by October there will be some HUGE thing uncovered about BO....like a mistress or a love child from years past....or him using a racial slur....That'll spice up the election ratings!!:D

#21     Jul 31, 2008
  2. Article is dated 2002 but this covers the jist of it.

I like this part.
    ----------------

Particularly since under the laws and institutions of this country, African Americans have become the richest and freest black people on earth.
    -----------------------

Ogletree is a leader of the reparations movement. His rationale for reparations from a government that had gone to war to end slavery, that had sent federal troops to end southern segregation, that had outlawed discrimination nationally and spent trillions of dollars to help black Americans was this:

It’s been 250 years of slavery, 100 years of Jim Crow legal segregation and we have not fully addressed or remedied the 350 years of direct suffering that African-Americans have endured in the United States.

When asked what he thought the lingering effects of slavery were, Ogletree answered:

Racial profiling, selective incarceration, disparate sentencing, inner city poverty, limited opportunities, the whole issue of economic inequality, substandard health care and other life-threatening health issues. Discriminatory lending practices, redlining, and a host of other issues that are directly related to race. They are as apparent in the twenty-first century as they were in the seventeenth century. (emphasis added)

The idea that America is responsible for every statistical deficit experienced by African Americans and that these oppressions are as evident today as they were more than three hundred years ago, would seem to qualify as hostility. Particularly since under the laws and institutions of this country, African Americans have become the richest and freest black people on earth. Contrary to Ogletree, the United States did not inflict 350 years of suffering on blacks no matter what one thinks of this history. The United States was created only 226 years ago and slavery existed for only 78 years from the signing of the Constitution to the emancipation. To include in this indictment, as Ogletree does, the two centuries when slavery was an institution of the British empire, betrays an astonishing indifference to political events (like war and revolution) and to political principles, and indicates instead an animus against all the non-black inhabitants of this continent that one can reasonably conclude is racial. If drawing this conclusion is "overstatement," so be it.

#22     Jul 31, 2008
  3. John McCain? A mediocre politician, who because of his P.O.W. status has been given a permanent Hall Pass.
    My pointing out Obama's shortcomings are not an endorsement of Mac.

#23     Jul 31, 2008
  4. I hear ya...everytime he takes heat he reminds everyone he was a POW...drives me nuts! same with Rudy who constantly reminded everyone that he was the Mayor on 9-11...but i get the feeling OB might start reaching into the 'race card' every time he takes some heat and that coudl be his demise.

#24     Jul 31, 2008
  5. We are just not condtioned to listen to a black man get on tv and make pronouncements of what he is going to do for the white America. We don't need him.

#25     Jul 31, 2008
  6. I am...but that's only because im a black man trapped in a white man's body....:D

#26     Jul 31, 2008
  7. That's pretty funny.

#27     Jul 31, 2008
  8. Of course it's only from the waist down:D

#28     Aug 1, 2008
  9. Obama will continue to play the race card more aggressively as people find out how little he has to offer. He and his media apologists will, of course, try to spin it.
    There is no spinning that his wife is an obvious racist and his connections with hard line racists in the past show a disturbing trend that cannot be discounted.

#29     Aug 2, 2008
  10. SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama opposes offering reparations to the descendants of slaves, putting him at odds with some black groups and leaders.

The man with a serious chance to become the nation's first black president argues that government should instead combat the legacy of slavery by improving schools, health care and the economy for all.

"I have said in the past _ and I'll repeat again _ that the best reparations we can provide are good schools in the inner city and jobs for people who are unemployed," the Illinois Democrat said recently.

Some two dozen members of Congress are co-sponsors of legislation to create a commission that would study reparations _ that is, payments and programs to make up for the damage done by slavery.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People supports the legislation, too. Cities around the country, including Obama's home of Chicago, have endorsed the idea, and so has a major union, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

Obama has worked to be seen as someone who will bring people together, not divide them into various interest groups with checklists of demands. Supporting reparations could undermine that image and make him appear to be pandering to black voters.

"Let's not be naive. Sen. Obama is running for president of the United States, and so he is in a constant battle to save his political life," said Kibibi Tyehimba, co-chair of the National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America. "In light of the demographics of this country, I don't think it's realistic to expect him to do anything other than what he's done."

But this is not a position Obama adopted just for the presidential campaign. He voiced the same concerns about reparations during his successful run for the Senate in 2004.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/02/obama-opposes-slavery-rep_n_116506.html

#30     Aug 2, 2008