Obama was only off by 6.2 Million Jobs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drjekyllus, Oct 21, 2009.

1. http://www.republicans.waysandmeans.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=150826

7 Months After Stimulus 49 of 50 States Have Lost Jobs
    America Now Over 6 Million Jobs Shy of Administration's Projections
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The table below compares the White House's February 2009 projection of the number of jobs that would be created by the 2009 stimulus law (through the end of 2010) with the actual change in state payroll employment through September 2009 (the latest figures available). According to the data, 49 States and the District of Columbia have lost jobs since stimulus was enacted. Only North Dakota has seen net job creation following the February 2009 stimulus. While President Obama claimed the result of his stimulus bill would be the creation of 3.5 million jobs, the Nation has already lost a total of 2.7 million – a difference of 6.2 million jobs.

Nicely done. Obama was really close on this one.

2. Ricter

Ricter

You are premature. Not half of the stimulus money has been spent yet, but even so, it is having the predicted effect. Manufacturing is rising in response to export demand (the weak dollar is probably, at least in part, deliberate). Today's industry news indicates that manufacturing has likely cut jobs too sharply. Demand for labor is going to rise a bit more rapidly than orginally expected. If the American people can still produce anything of value for the world market, they will be working. I'm already seeing this in my own sector-our foreign sales are rising and the layoffs are over. We're importing more manufacturing inputs than we were six months ago, and they will soon be exported product (the sales are final).

3. TGregg

TGregg

And just think how many more would have been lost if I had not personally saved (or created) 120 million jobs! All by myself.

I also saved 30 grand for every person in this country.

And I saved 20 million lives just today.

Also, I personally saved the planet from spinning into the sun, so tack on 6 billion to the lives saved and every job onto that total.

You chumps should elect me president, I save so much.

4. My nephews lemonade stand is hiring too.

You may have better luck making that argument once unemployment starts turning around because no one else gives a care about your industry.

5. Ricter

Ricter

Lol, my industry is oil and gas. Billions care.

Maybe you could help your nephew out with the tuition for some evening classes?

6. Romer: Impact of stimulus will level off
    By JIM KUHNHENN (AP)

WASHINGTON — A top White House economist says spending from the $787 billion economic stimulus has already had its biggest impact on economic growth and will likely not contribute to significant expansion next year.

Christina Romer, the chair of President Barack Obama's Council of Economic Advisers, said Thursday that the $194 billion already spent gave a jolt to the economy that contributed to growth in the second and third quarters of the year. She told a congressional panel that by the middle of next year, the impact of the stimulus will level off. Romer said spending so far has saved or created 600,000 to 1.5 million jobs but warned that unemployment will remain high, above 9.5 percent, through the end of 2010.