Obama touts this as success

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wildchild, Sep 10, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

Tell us sandydog why you troll forums about the volt. What do you expect to accomplish? Who are you working for?

Tell us about your trolling.

#41     Sep 11, 2012
  2. My battery has never let me down.

Your political opinions are clearly clouding your ability to make a sensible argument. The Volt cost a whopping $1.2billion to develop. Are you arguing that $1.2billion is going to put GM out of business? The Volt will be implemented into other designs. This is just the begininng.

The biggest problem with you is that you are so closed minded in your thinking that you would rather see a good thing fail to score political points than admitting that they may be on to something, or to at least even let it run it's course and see what happens. Only one person that I know who has test driven a Volt has ever said they didn't love it. She bought a Cruze instead.

By the way, I can't tell you how many current owners of Prius's are now looking at Volt's. Nearly all Volt purchasers are currently non GM owners.

#42     Sep 11, 2012
  3. pspr

pspr

Still waiting for your answer sandydog. When are you not going to tell us about your trolling?

#43     Sep 11, 2012
  4. Um actually, our fleet department has sold only a handful of Volt's. The governments aren't buying them. Company's aren't buying them either. I have sold 20 Volt's in the past 9 weeks. Every one of them was to a regular person.

Average Joe is buying them. He's buying it for his commute. He's buying it as a second car cause his suv gets 13 MPG. He's buying it because he loves the technology. He's buying it cause he wants to stick it to the oil man.

#44     Sep 11, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

And, about your trolling?

<a href="http://www.freep.com/article/20120827/BUSINESS01/120827089/GM-expected-to-suspend-Chevy-Volt-production-over-slow-sales">GM expected to suspend Chevy Volt production over slow sales</a>

#45     Sep 11, 2012
  6. pspr

pspr

There are no end to the stories about the stupidity of the volt.

The Chevy Volt costs close to $90,000 to manufacture while it retails for $40,000 according to information gathered by Reuters.

“Nearly two years after the introduction of the path-breaking plug-in hybrid,” writes Reuters, “GM is still losing as much as $49,000 on each Volt it builds, according to estimates provided to Reuters by industry analysts and manufacturing experts.”

“Cheap Volt lease offers meant to drive more customers to Chevy showrooms this summer may have pushed that loss even higher,” the wire service says. “There are some Americans paying just $5,050 to drive around for two years in a vehicle that cost as much as $89,000 to produce.”

Ok. So here’s the math that GM (GM) faces on the Volt: 10,666 Volts were sold in the first seven months of 2012. At an average loss of $49,000 per vehicle that’s a loss of $522,634,000.

A $523 million dollar loss on a car that won’t sell 20,000 units in 2012?

To put this in perspective, the company has probably shaved at least $4 billion off its market value by squandering money on the Volt. Right now the company is trading at about 8.31 times it’s earning. Assuming GM didn’t produce the Volt at all and just held on to the cash savings, the $523 million in cash multiplied by the market value of 8.31 times earnings comes out to $4,343,088,540 in lost value for the shareholders.

Those shareholders are you and me.

It would be cheaper for the company to quietly ask potential Volt buyers if they would take a $40,000 check just to go away.

Two weeks ago GM was bragging that Volts were selling at a record pace. Now it appears that it may be years and years and years before the company makes money selling the Volt’s old technology as something new.

http://finance.townhall.com/columni...a_green_investment_loses_a_billion/page/full/

#46     Sep 11, 2012
  7. That is an interesting comment I've heard now and then. Personally, I don't care to stick it to the "oil man". I just like to make money so I don't care what gas costs, or how many mpg I get, or have to drive something fuel efficient. What's the point of that? and why do I have to be efficient or conserve? Boomers will be dropping like flies soon (aging out) this will more than makeup for the loss of efficiency I and a few others might waste driving around in a suv.

#47     Sep 11, 2012
  8. Why is defending something with a reasonable argument shilling but relentlessly bashing it to pander to a political base freely accepted and in fact encouraged?

#48     Sep 11, 2012
  9. Your needs/desires in a car purchase may be different than another person's. It doesn't make it right or wrong. You do what works for you, and somebody else can do what works for them.

Baby boomers are about ready to bankrupt the entire social security/medicare system. How do you think the government will pay for that? They'll inflate their way out of it and that will cause oil prices to continue to rise.

#49     Sep 11, 2012
  10. I don't see the merits or lack thereof of the Volt as political at all. Obviously because of Obama's reckless bailout of the UAW, taxpayers have a stake in the success of GM. As of now, that campaign payoff is looking to cost the taxpayers around $40 billion as I recall. Pissing away more billions on a prodcut no one wants will not turn that around.

I am not a GM basher. I have posted elsewhere that I like Chevy trucks. I have a Tahoe and it is great.

There are plenty of buyers looking to buy electric cars, plug ins and hybrids. For some reason they are not buying Volts. Instead of lying about how well they are selling, you might want to think about that. You were posting months ago that they were on back order, etc. Obviously total BS. The Volt is one of the biggest disasters in the history of the automobile business. That is a fact.

#50     Sep 11, 2012