Obama touts plan to end imported oil reliance within 10 years

Discussion in 'Politics' started by crgarcia, Aug 4, 2008.

1. clacy

clacy

I think that we're seeing that it already has begun.

#11     Aug 4, 2008
  2. I hope so.

Does anyone see how funny it is that he is going to avoid debates at all costs?

He seems to excel with the "Change" speeches, but those pesky debates about actual solutions to problems will do him in.

#12     Aug 4, 2008
  3. Cesko

Cesko

Good point.:D :D :D

#13     Aug 4, 2008
  4. let me guess.......yuppie dem from the coast. and you are better then everyone else?

Let me guess again. You dont understand its a supply AND demand issue. If you drill it helps supply. and if you find new technology that gets us off oil that affects demand.

When you get a chance to look down upon us on ET I hope u get a chance to read this. Thank you for gracing us with your presence

#14     Aug 4, 2008
  5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I doubt he is dumber than Kerry. Thats a tough act to follow.

#15     Aug 4, 2008
  6. Well, have you seen him debate vs give his teleprompter speeches? he is bloody impressive with the rehearsed speeches. one of the best i've seen in about 3 decades of following politics.

That said, he is just average in debates, and down right clumsy when a question comes out of nowhere on the street.

Mac, on the other hand, is terrible in speeches, fairly poor in debates, and sometimes witty off the cuff. Unless he sings bomb Iran songs, or confuses borders that is.

point is, the relative advantage in speaking diminishes when a debate, and especially an open public forum is used. the speaking thing is the only item that has propelled Obama to fame so fast. Without it, he'd be a local Chicago politician for life imo.

#16     Aug 4, 2008
  7. +1
    Ok I see I wasn't clear enough in the other post. His campaign doesn't seem to want town hall-type forums/debates, probably because as you have pointed out - he wouldn't have the advantage of rehearsed speeches that have benefited him so far.

#17     Aug 4, 2008
  8. haha "the speaking thing". Oratorical skills are one of the powerful things our planet has ever seen. For good, or bad. How do you think hitler got an entire country to try to exterminate a race and give their lives for his personal goals? No im not comparing obama to hitler, but skills as an orator are monumentally important.

#18     Aug 4, 2008
  9. If America ended it's dependance on imported oils they'd solve a lot of their problems. Explain to me what is the advantage for the USA to continue importing 750 billion dollars of oil every year? I suppose it's good for us here in Canada, we're the biggest supplier right now.

#19     Aug 4, 2008
  10. Not if the US pays you back with Bennigan's coupons.

#20     Aug 4, 2008