Obama to Propose New Rules on Banks’ Size, Proprietary Trading

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by belmondo, Jan 21, 2010.

1. And just who are all the people rushing the banks wanting loans?

#31     Jan 21, 2010
  2. gkishot

gkishot

So what are you saying: revoke the license and give it to someone else? The chances are they are not going to lend either.

#32     Jan 21, 2010
  3. Banks have to accept a certain level of risk (this is why they charge a higher interest rate in addition to all the other 'fees'). Their business is based on economic growth and they are seen as key agents in the assistance of this. If they don't help facilitate this and lend to other enterprising risk takers then I don't see them doing 'god's work' in any other way. This is the conventional bank. But they have changed and now prefer to manipulate the markets, keep the money and say 'go f*$~ yourself' to anyone with a business plan.

#33     Jan 21, 2010
  4. gkishot

gkishot

Come on, this is a free market. Anybody can step in and lend the money if he thinks it's a profitable business. Even you can do it if you decide to. Just get off the fence.

#34     Jan 21, 2010
  5. What's your point here? If a bank can't make money lending, then they should use their special status, privy information, and relationship with the fed to compete against me, an individual trader?

Bullshit.

If they are a bank, they lend. If the lending environment is not that good - guess what? TOUGH SHIT. The business environment sucks for a lot of business - get used to it.

#35     Jan 21, 2010
  6. Specterx

Specterx

I don't understand the reaction here.

Deposit-taking banks should NOT be allowed to day trade or speculate with the money with Mom & Pop's checking account. If the government is going to backstop Goldman Sachs et al, then we have every right (and indeed the government has the duty) to restrict the leverage, risk etc. that Goldman is taking on. I would prefer that the backstop not exist at all, but it's what we have to work with.

It really seems like a no brainer, and while I'd personally like to see much deeper/more fundamental monetary and economic reform, Obama finally seems to be stumbling towards the right path and away from the Dark Side.

And BTW, Paul Volcker is behind this, and he's probably the only person in the Mainstream whose judgment I actually trust.

#36     Jan 21, 2010
  7. looks like the gops answered back with this supreme court ruling

amazing, all out warfare going on now between dems reps

small wonder they pass this, while they still rule the court, much like the last-minute ruling that let exxon waltz off scot-free, on the eve of losing the presidency

a-fuckin-mazing outta fuckin control everybodys havin a fuckin temper tamtrum

#37     Jan 21, 2010
  8. odd that the speech came two days after Brown. And Barney was told this morning. So, it seems 'off the cuff'.

Now, if I was conspiracy oriented, and that's a big "if":p , I'd say they said, "fuck it. We're not holding the market up anymore. Let it go. It didn't help us."

That would be "if" I was conspiracy minded. I'm just sayin'.

I think Crames, I call him "Crames", I think Crames said a Brown win would scream the market. He'll refine that call in a day or two so it works out for him, like some kid making up his own rules in kickball.

#38     Jan 21, 2010
  9. Dogfish

Dogfish

Start selling cardboard boxes outside the Goldman prop floor for an easy buck :D

I really hope this doesn't kill the liquidity in the futures markets, we need those guys.

#39     Jan 22, 2010
  10. gkishot

gkishot

As far as I know GS is not a deposit taking bank.

#40     Jan 22, 2010