Obama To Introduce Crackdown Measures On Tax Havens

Discussion in 'Economics' started by NielsenDK, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Daal

Daal

If I were a US citizen, I wouldn't be a US citizen

#41     Nov 10, 2008
  2. Not mine. He's already made known his broad contempt for religious rights. He'll never get my vote like that. I like his style of governance, his independent ring, his straight talk, but he's offending too many people by trashing religion. I still have one of his Governor t-shirts!

#42     Nov 10, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Well, I imagine every candidate is going to strike a sore spot somewhere with most voters...

Personally, I'd settle for just ONE issue which is important to the general welfare of the country.... also absent a plethora of negatives, of course. Agree it's hard to run on an anti-religion platform... survey says about 85% of Americans believe in "something"..

But Jesse has a LOT more going for him as a leader than NObama...

#43     Nov 10, 2008
  4. jprad

jprad

The report only detailed the what and how.

It took a couple of weeks after the towers fell to translate the contents of the report into legislation that was rammed through Congress.

#44     Nov 10, 2008
  5. It's called the "Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief Tax (HEART) Act of 2008" approved by congress and signed into law by Mr. Bush last june.

This exit tax applies to:
    1. Everyone with income greater than $139,000
    2. Or, Net worth greater than $2 mil

Tax rates are
    1. As high as 35% if you're not retired.
    2. 51% for retirees.

#45     Nov 10, 2008
  6. Agreed. We will see how many noise complaints that DC citizens make after he moves his boom boxes into the White House.

#46     Nov 10, 2008
  7. Hi
    Iam non Resident Alien trading the US stocks/options/futures etc since 1988.
    Yes there is no capital gains tax on profits and interest income.
    But on Dividends are taxed @25% or so with holding tax.
    By the way there is no capital gains tax on securities trading (stocks/futures etc) in both Hong Kong and Singapore .
    The charm of trading the US market is inexpensive commisions!
    I do love visiting USA and drive coast to coast once or once in 2 years. Hong Kong is the best off shore centre to trade Global stocks.But the timing will kill you. Ideally one should have a HK based corporation,sit in London and trade. No taxes anywhere!!

#47     Nov 10, 2008
  8. No. If you renounce your citizenship, any assets still in the united states at the time of the renunciation will have a capital gains tax assessed on them. Then, when you actually <i>sell</i> the asset, it will be subject to another cap gains tax.

Still dumb, but better than you assumed.

It's unconstitutional as it is CLEARLY double taxation and it'll surely have to stand constitutional challenge if it catches anyone not savvy enough to move all of his assets offshore before renouncing his citizenship.

#48     Nov 10, 2008
  9. Dude, TARP was scribbled up in about a day and all the changes they made to it was only to add pork.

Our idiot gubmint (redundant, no?) in action, for sure. But your conspiracy theories aren't doing your credibility any favours, gnome.

#49     Nov 10, 2008
  10. If you are thinking that people in power and money don't make things happen to their desires, the sheep pen is off to the left, the one with huge TVs and non-stop news...

#50     Nov 10, 2008