Obama To Introduce Crackdown Measures On Tax Havens

Discussion in 'Economics' started by NielsenDK, Nov 10, 2008.

1. I know there used to be a great thread about living in the Bahamas.

Can anyone answer these questions---

1) If you give up your U.S. citizenship for Bahamian citizenship and move to the Bahamas, how difficult is it to come back to visit the U.S.?

2) Is it possible to get your U.S. citizenship back if you decide to move back here?

3) If you do get the citizenship back, do you owe back taxes on what you made while offshore?

Thanks in advance.

#21     Nov 10, 2008
  2. jprad

jprad

The last I checked the total number of voters was 123,462,202 which is not even close to a majority of the nation.

Of those that did, 53% voted for Obama, which isn't a mandate by any stretch, yet that's exactly what that the Democratic leadership is saying.

And, what are we going to get?

More of the same because the Democrats and the Republicans both suck equally bad.

#22     Nov 10, 2008
  3. I'm sick of all the "Change" already, and the guy's not even in office yet.

#23     Nov 10, 2008
  4. Both sides have their strengths and their weaknesses.

A balance of both is probably best: not too much religion from Republicans, not too many market restrictions from the democrats (And Yes, it was under Bush that the bailouts started..)

Now that the Democrats are moving in in January, they will "Clean up the mess the Republicans have left".

This was exactly what the Republicans said when Bush took office 8 years ago and the democrats were busy removing the "W" key from the keyboards in the WH, as the story went.

Every time there is a party change in the White House, they focus a lot about reverting things back from what happened in the former presidents reign instead of focusing on the country. Too much ideology and less focus on what is REALLY important for AMERICA. No wonder the US can be a mess sometime. It moves to the side, when it should be moving forward.

Obama is currently looking to revert 200 executive orders from Bush, some are good, others are bad.

Of course politics is usually about change, but when a republican is president again in perhaps 4 years, guess what he will do?

#24     Nov 10, 2008

5. http://business.theage.com.au/business/pressure-is-on-liechtenstein-20080227-1v4w.html

#25     Nov 10, 2008
  6. jprad

jprad

Both parties are overrun with intolerant extremists who will only and begrudgingly reach across the isle when absolutely necessary.

Nothing will change until we replace them with people who have the wisdom and courage to walk down the center of the isle.

#26     Nov 10, 2008

7. I think that a balance of <i>neither</i> would be best.

#27     Nov 10, 2008
  8. I am curious: Who would you suggest then? :)

#28     Nov 10, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

Jesse "The Body" Ventura said he's running as an Independent in 2012. If so, he'll get MY vote. :D

#29     Nov 10, 2008

10. You're kidding about that, right?

#30     Nov 10, 2008