Obama to change birth control rule

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trader666, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Source: Obama to change birth control rule
    By Aamer Madhani, USA TODAY
    Updated 9m ago

President Obama will announce a plan as early as today to accommodate religious employers opposed to a rule that would require them to cover birth control for women free of charge, a senior administration official tells USA TODAY.

The White House received backlash to the measure from Catholic clergy as well as Republican leaders this week. The administration announced last month that religious-affiliated employers had to cover birth control as preventative care for women. Churches and houses of worship were exempt, but all other affiliated organizations were ordered to comply by Aug. 2013.

"We're accommodating religious views [and] concerns, but it is wrong to say that we're going to compromise and meet them halfway. We're sticking to principle in terms of guaranteeing free contraceptive coverage for women," said the official, who asked for anonymity because the president has yet to announce the decision.

ABC News reports that the compromise will involve health insurance companies stepping to provide the coverage. It's cheaper for the insurance companies to offer the coverage than to not do so, because of unwanted pregnancies and resulting complications.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communi...2/source-obama-to-change-birth-control-rule/1

2. Okay now, that's better. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Obama is a lock in 2012:D

3. Brass

Brass

Perhaps he should have waited a little longer for Santorum to get more political traction. Obama may have exited his position a bit early.

4. You were right,it seemed like this was going to be a bigger problem then I thought.I'm glad Obama has quickly corrected the problem

5. Possibly.Seems Obama didn't want to interrupt the momentum he has .Chris Matthews pointed out how all the good economic news and the GOP circus was being drowned out by this

6. Brass

Brass

Good point. Seems there are variables at play other than just religious lunacy.

7. Ricter

Ricter

You haven't heard? All this economic good news is...

sec, customer here...

anyway, all this economic... crap, one second...

Ok, finally, where was I? Oh yeah, all this good news is fake.

8. No, he let the contrast be set, they took the gambit. At CPAC, Santorum is the man, but Mittens will be the nominee. There will be blood in Tampa at the GOP convention.

Also, I don't think he understood Catholic resolve. If you are not in the service sector, you will not often meet Catholics. I am in Allied Health, so I have worked elbow to elbow with Catholics. That post I made about providing one with all they need in this life, a nun approached me in this way. Convert, and you will want for nothing, essentially. But they decide what you will have, and that was the dealbreaker.

My ideal for a wife might be Marilyn Monroe, they may feel that I would be better with Rosanne Barr. That is a no go.

Anyway, I digress, I knew this would be a big issue because I know Catholics, many of them, and I know them very well.

Obama would do well to study some history. Let them say their Hail Mary's in peace, and they will be an asset, annoy them, and they will start the Crusades.

Again.

9. Can't take credit. I just knew the population that Obama was up against. Very committed, very deep pockets.

10. Brass

Brass

[Sarcasm=100%]Yeah, but everyone knows that this growth is the delayed response to Bush's invading Iraq while cutting taxes. And the economic crisis that came to a head in 2008 was just the anticipatory response to Obama coming into office soon thereafter.[/Sarcasm]

#10     Feb 10, 2012