Obama to address nation at 9 p.m. Eastern as stalemate on debt talks continues

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by BLUEDAY000, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Wheeeee!! Keep talking Obama. you crashed the dollar & I'm long yen. Hurray!!

#31     Jul 25, 2011
  2. As for me, I want my government to be just and compassionate.

If they let me keep more of my money then I like them.

If they take more of my money then I don't like them anymore.

#32     Jul 25, 2011
  3. I am voting all the bozos out the next chance I get.

#33     Jul 25, 2011
  4. bone

bone

Shot down by Obama - he insisted on more taxes at the eleventh hour, which is why Boehner walked out on Friday.

On Sunday, Reid and Boehner had an agreement but Obama nixed that one as well - in fact, he threatened to veto it before he saw the details.

Reid and Boehner will have an agreement by Wednesday working WITHOUT Obama - they are actually not far apart at all. Both houses will pass the legislation and send it to Obama's desk where he can veto it if he wants. Reid does not want to include Obama in any more discussions based upon the shiv he got from Obama Sunday - that was the reason for this evening's presser: Reid is pissed beyond belief at Obama.

#34     Jul 25, 2011
  5. It "falls short", according to Boehner's camp.

Bernie Sanders didn't like it, either, which should tell you about all you really need to know about both Boehner and Sanders.

Apart from that, the plan suffered from the same smoke and mirrors "spending cut" nonsense that plagues all the other plans. Spending actually *increases* under the proposal. There is no reform of Defense, SS, or Medicare spending. There are no specifics on how promised spending-slowdowns would be achieved - no details on, for example, how many people would still be employed by the Federal gov't.

Basically, it's a complete sham that is going to continue the trend of splitting the GOP between those who swallow the party line and those who actually want meaningful spending reform. It plays right into Obama's re-election hand...

#35     Jul 25, 2011
  6. bone

bone

#36     Jul 25, 2011
  7. You should join the ABTI party.

(Anybody But The Incumbant)

#37     Jul 25, 2011
  8. bone

bone

You misunderstand - Boehner thought the the timeframe it would take to implement 'gang of six' would not be practical in time for the August deadline. In fact, that is the problem with the 'big deal' Dems keep pushing - there are up against a deadline.

#38     Jul 25, 2011
  9. Sorry, riskarb, you'll have to take it up with someone else as I'm not really interested in "discussing" with idealogues. It's a complete waste of time.

Cheers.

#39     Jul 25, 2011
  10. yeah, but I think the most important thing for the American People is that we have a good 50th birthday celebration. I'm tired of all this arguing.

#40     Jul 25, 2011