Obama, the ice cream man

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Nov 7, 2008.

1. It's all about the Ice Cream

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade. The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest. I decided we would have an election for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote.

To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have. We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot. The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids. I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental support. I had never seen Olivia's mother.

The day arrived when they were to make their speeches Jamie went first. He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place. He ended by promising to do his very best. Every one applauded. He sat down and Olivia came to the podium.

Her speech was concise. She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream." She sat down. The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream." She surely would say more. She did not have to. A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it. She didn't know. The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream. Jamie was forgotten. Olivia won by a land slide.

Every time Barack Obama opens his mouth he offers ice cream, and fifty percent of America reacts like nine year olds. They want ice cream. The other fifty percent know they're going to have to feed the cow.

2. gnome

gnome

South Park already had an episode about NObama winning. Randy Marsh got drunk, whooped and hollered like a total idiot.. drunken with NObamamania... Marsh told off his boss and quit his job. When his son ask, "Dad, what are you doing?", Marsh replied, "Don't worry, everything is fine. I don't have to work any more... 'cause everything's gonna CHANGE!" Yeah, CHANGE! ... It was hilarious!

3. gnome

gnome

Next election one party will offer ice cream, the other will offer banana splits.

4. Peil, as a teacher you should know that 50% each would be a tie with no clear winner. I honestly hope you dont teach math. And like I keep saying to everyone else, how about you hold off on the guilty verdict till he has actually done something worth being found guilty for. And byt the way, good for the girl who won. Her job was to get elected. hope she gets an A+, Not her fault the rest of them were dumb enough to fall for it. But I really hope your not comparing this guy with 'the clear concise plan' to McCain, A clear concise plan? Come on...... this is the same guy who said the economy was strong. HA!!

5. Thats because Olivia had supported a long drawn out school yard fight with no resolution in sight.

Olivia had supported a resolution to install spy mini cameras in the students lockers to keep taps and see who could be up to no good.... in the name of keeping everyone else "safe".

Olivia wanted a petition to halt the teaching of evolution and teach creationism instead.

The students didn't want 4 more years of Olivia policies...... had nothing to do with ice cream.

PS Olivia's running mate, came to school every morning in the "short" bus.

6. What do you consider the $5000 health care rebate John McCain was offering? Or the tax cuts he was offering? Here's a civics lesson for you-- every candidate running for any office offers things to the voters. McCain offered the same ice cream that Obama did.

7. gnome

gnome

That too.

Did you read where Great Britain now has one camera for each 15 citizens? And they electronically time drivers from point to point to see who traveled the distance at over the posted limit... then send them a summons and fine? I think it was GB.. some place for sure. Sheesh.

8. gnome

gnome

Same? What campaign were you watching?

9. He was watching the BET version of the campaign.

Can you believe that they actually had black people on saying "Vote Black" and nobody seemed to care about the blatant racism.

Could you imagine the uproar if a white person went on t.v. and uttered the words "Vote White"?

10. I didn't know Paulson was working for Obama. If you don't like Obama, then either run for office yourself or shut the fuck up, please!

#10     Nov 7, 2008