Obama team targets Romney over taxes, Republicans cry foul

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Kind of like the little boy telling the little girl, I'll show you mine if you show me yours. And of course she says the same thing. And it's a stale mate till one of them drops their drawers. And the republicans being the perverts they are they want Obama to drop his drawers first. You guys are sick.

#31     Jul 9, 2012
  2. Dude, its not like there is some rule that he has to release them. If there was something wrong the IRS should have caught it, we don't pay them to sit on their balls all day and let people cheat on their taxes, do we?

Reality is you want to see them because he won't release them, you are suspicious. We want to see BO's academic transcripts and the fast and furious docs, we are suspicious.. sometimes we just can't get what we want.

#32     Jul 9, 2012
  3. The political game is played thusly: no one gives a hoot about the academic transcripts. Outside of here on ET I have never heard that one mentioned (cue the usual whine about the "Lamestream Media" right about here).
    Fast and furious? Only important to the folks who were agin' Messicans to begin with, and those who make love to their guns at least twice a week - I suspect there's some overlap in them two groups. Neither were ever going to vote for Obama in any significant number, so really, does he care? Nope.
    Income? Well, everyone lurves their income. They may or may not lurves they's guns, but they lurves their income. And if some guy running to be Prez is way up there in the wealth scales but doesn't wanna tells ya how he got ahold of all them bux, well, that's the kinda thing that can make a man suspect some hidden shenanigans.
    Executive summary: there's a lot more people who would care about Romney's tax returns than care about fast 'n' furious. That may not be fair as far as you're concerned, but it doesn't matter. Politics is a contact sport.

#33     Jul 9, 2012

4. I dont care to see them nor do I care to see his academic records.I only support the issue because it hurts Romney chances of winning

As I said,I hope he doesn't release them so the story can continue until election day.The birther issue doesnt hurt Obama it only makes the right look like nuts.The tax return issue hurts Romney

#34     Jul 9, 2012
  5. I think everyone would care about academic records if a sitting US Pres was found to have pulled an 'elizabeth warren' type scam when applying to schools, right? Or if his grades were sub par but he graduated magna and was Pres of the HLS because of some AA policy.

Before you accuse me of making shit up.. I'm not suggesting either are true and it hasn't hurt him keeping these records sealed. Unless they are leaked we'll maybe never know. that is no worse of a guess than the wild eyed speculation about Romney's bank accounts, it happens on both sides. Of course releasing the info will make it all go away.. unless it is true.

#35     Jul 9, 2012
  6. Max E.

Max E.

Oh really? a CNN Poll seems to show otherwise....

POLL: MAJORITY APPROVES OF HOLDER CONTEMPT VOTE

According to a CNN/ORC poll, 53 percent of adults surveyed approve of the House of Representatives vote to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in civil and criminal contempt of Congress. Holder refused to turn over documents associated with the Fast and Furious operation to a congressional committee. Weapons traced back to Fast and Furious were used to kill Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.

However, opinions do not divide cleanly along partisan lines. A majority of Republicans (73%) approved of the contempt vote, while slightly more than one-third of Democrats approve. More than half (54%) of Independents sided with the Republicans and approved of the vote, suggesting that public perception has not fallen in line with Democrats spin on Fast and Furious.

The majority of people surveyed believed the House’s contempt vote was politically motivated. A majority of Democrats (79%) say that the vote was used to gain political advantage, while a majority of Republicans say that congressional Republicans have real ethical concerns. Although a majority of Independents agreed with the contempt vote, 63% think the move was politically motivated.

The poll also found that 69 percent of Americans want President Barack Obama to answer all of the questions surrounding the Fast and Furious “gunwalking” scandal.

#36     Jul 9, 2012
  7. Two things are true:

- Obama is smart as a whip.
    - Romney made all his money legally.

In Obama's case, everyone knows he's not really honest, as in, they know he very carefully laid out each step in his career so as to promote himself on his way to the next step, in a logical progression that lead straight to the White House. For instance, he knew Roberts was the best guy Bush was ever going to nominate for the Supreme Court, but he opposed him anyway because politically that was the best thing for him to do at that time. Ironically as we all now know, Roberts was the guy who just about singlehandedly saved him from being routed this election year.
    In Romney's case, everyone knows the money wasn't made morally, i.e. by promoting the greatest good for everyone in the deal; a lot of it was made by making sure he got his rather than in the ideal of a business deal, where everyone gets something even if one guy got the most out of it. This may come back to bite Romney in the fall, depending on how well Obama's folks can dig up the dirt on him. I suspect they'll turn out to be very good indeed at doing so, especially given the large helping hand they were given by Newt in the primaries.

That's what's really behind both demands made of both men.
    But as I said, for you guys the problem is: more people care about the tax returns. A lot more.

#37     Jul 9, 2012
  8. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-says-romney-open-book-personal-finances-011644571.html

Obama says Romney should be an ‘open book’ on personal finances

President Barack Obama said Monday that Mitt Romney should disclose more of his personal financial information. Obama's appeal, delivered in an interview with New Hampshire's WMUR, came after weeks of Democratic attacks on the Republican standard-bearer for parking money overseas, including in a Swiss bank account.

"What's important, if you are running for president, is that the American people know who you are what you've done and that you're an open book," Obama said. "And that's been true of every presidential candidate dating back to Mr. Romney's father."

George Romney, a top executive at American Motors and former governor of Michigan, set the modern standard for presidential candidates when he released 12 years of tax returns during his bid for the 1968 Republican presidential nomination. Mitt Romney has released information from one year — and Democrats have been hammering the former Massachusetts governor, darkly suggesting that he has something to hide. Critics have seized on Romney's Swiss bank account — now closed — and on funds in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda.

Republicans have countered that the focus on Romney's personal finances is an attempt to distract voters from the fitful economic recovery three years after Obama took office vowing to fix it."With the failures of his presidency becoming more evident by the day, Barack Obama has resorted to the tactics of a typical politician," Romney spokesman Ryan Williams said by email.

"Rather than talk about the issues important to Americans in their everyday lives, he has chosen instead to run a campaign based on character attacks and dishonesty," Williams said. "That is all he has left to run on."

The Democratic attacks serve to remind voters of Romney's vast wealth — and Obama supporters have used the GOP candidate's money to suggest that he is out of touch with the average American. But there is no evidence that Romney did anything illegal.

"He offshores most of his own personal investments, presumably to shield them from taxes," top Obama campaign adviser Robert Gibbs told CNN on Sunday.

"I don't know about you, I pick a bank because there is an ATM near my home, right? Mitt Romney has a bank account in Switzerland."

#38     Jul 9, 2012
  9. http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/yes-mitt-romney-release-tax-returns-143126596.html

Yes, Mitt Romney Should Release His Tax Returns
    By Henry Blodget | Daily Ticker

The clamor for Mitt Romney to release a decade or so of tax returns continues to grow louder--and with very good reason.

Mitt Romney is the only President or Presidential candidate in the past couple of decades to refuse to release his tax returns.

He's also the only candidate for President in the Romney family to refuse to release his tax returns (Romney's dad, George Romney, released 12 years of returns--and said that releasing just one year's return, as Romney has done, is meaningless).

Romney is also a candidate for President about whom there are the completely justifiable questions and concerns about his earnings and tax payments.

So it's no surprise that America is concluding that Romney is not releasing his tax returns because he has something to hide.

And, the truth is... of course he has something to hide.

Even if Romney paid every dime of taxes that he owed, he made eye-popping amounts of money--earnings that presumably put him in the 0.01% of Americans, which he presumably does not want to remind people of. Romney also undoubtedly did his damnedest to avoid paying a single penny of taxes more than he had to--and was able to afford the best expertise available on how to do that. There is nothing wrong with that--if Mitt Romney's critics were as rich as Mitt Romney, they'd do the same thing. But Mitt Romney presumably knows that those tax-avoidance strategies were 1) very successful, and 2) won't look good to people who pay higher tax rates--namely most Americans. And Mitt Romney also wants to hide how rich he is and how much money he has made. Because, among other things, those facts will make his desire to further cut taxes for rich Americans look even more self-serving that it already seems to be.

So, yes, Mitt Romney has something to hide--even if he paid every dime of taxes that he owed.

But he should still release his returns.

Why?

Well, first, for these very good reasons, which I enumerated in more detail last week:

It has become standard practice for Presidents and Presidential candidates to release their returns.

Everyone already knows Mitt Romney is loaded, and he says he has paid all of his taxes, so he should have nothing to hide.

Mitt Romney says taxes on rich people are too high, so if he releases his returns, he can use himself as a prime example of the harm that this causes the economy.

Romney says that instead of resenting him for being a member of the 0.01%, Americans should be be proud of and emulate his success.

Romney's own father released a dozen years of tax returns and said that one year is meaningless.

And there's another very good reason:

It's the right thing to do.

Mitt Romney is campaigning to become President of the United States. Americans have every right to want to know how he made his money and and how he manages it, as well as what sorts of taxes he pays. Regardless of who you're rooting for in the campaign, it is is far better that this information come out now, rather than later (and it will come out). Given that Mitt Romney is campaigning on financial expertise and economic know-how, these questions are even more relevant for him than for any other candidate, which Mitt Romney obviously knows. And if Mitt Romney persists in refusing to release the returns, this issue really will become a distraction.

The Mormon Church advocates doing the right thing without delay regardless of the cost.

Mitt Romney should stop denouncing people asking perfectly reasonable questions and, instead, follow that advice.

#39     Jul 9, 2012
  10. Bad jobs report last week but all the media is talking about is Romneys tax returns LOL !!!

#40     Jul 9, 2012