Obama Tax Cuts

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jamis359, Sep 10, 2008.

1. http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/09/the_mccain_tax_increasescontin.html

"Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a former Director of the Congressional Budget Office and current chief McCain economic advisor, is an honest man--which means he's something of a liability on the Straight Talk Express. A few months ago, he admitted to my colleague, Michael Scherer, that Barack Obama's economic plan would reduce taxes for most people. And now, in a forthcoming book by Fortune columnist Matt Miller, he makes it clear that the next President is going to have to raise taxes.

"If you do nothing on the spending side, you're going to have to raise taxes whether you're a Republican, a Democrat or a Martian," he tells Miller...and then he immediately makes it clear that the "spending side" part of the argument is nothing more than a political fig-leaf."

#21     Sep 12, 2008
  2. McCain clearly wants to preserve the status quo, which is a back door redistribution of income from the middle to the top.

#22     Sep 13, 2008
  3. MKTrader

MKTrader

Yeah, the FEMA trailer crowd just loves Obama, and they'll demand every penny they can get if he's elected.

A bunch of them were in my city durng the Gustav scare. They were on the local TV stations complaining about the free food they received and demanding "spendin' money."

I have little hope either party will cut spending, which is desperately needed, but Obama will definitely send huge sums into sinkholes.

#23     Sep 13, 2008
  4. it's not always clear, and each person's platform seems to be "evolving" to put it nicely. last i heard, Obama's proposal brings back the marriage tax penalty. so if you're thinking about getting married, keep in mind that if you stay separate you can make under 400k together without getting the top rate, 250k for getting married.

he will probably cut corporate taxes, given they are among the highest in the world, making it more competitive to start a C corp than an LLC for example.

small businesses use pass through entities, like LLCs. so small businesses that are making over 250k are going to get hit pretty bad. philosophically speaking, it doesn't make a lot of sense to treat them like the uber rich. and finally, small businesses employ north of 80% of the work force, yet we're going to increase taxes on them? what is that going to do the employment rate.

the end is that the large corporation gets a tax cut, and the small businessman will get a tax increase. theoretically sounding policies such as large health insurance mandates, easy lawsuits, the costs of increased regulation matter more to a small business person, start up, than a large corporation like MSFT who can easily burden these costs.small businesses always seem to get left out of the equation, despite how vital they are. to the economy.

course, there is also that ominous stat that no one has increased taxes during a recession since hoover, contributed to the great depression.

#24     Sep 13, 2008
  5. New rules would give FBI more freedom in US operations

September 13, 2008

"Agents would be allowed to conduct physical surveillance in a public location, recruit and deploy informants, and conduct interviews without identifying themselves."

they get more power by the day and the average person gets weaker, but you know what your neighbor would say about this; well this is not about me, it's about the terrorists, we are fighting the terrorists, just goes to show the level of stupidity, what terrorists, it's the terrorists passing these laws, and you and your even stupider children are the target, but I could care less, I hate the average person, they deserve worse

#25     Sep 13, 2008
  6. You can only distribute income from lower to upper classes by lower income classes spending money. It's a choice.

Taxes are a post-income liability, this money isn't directly given to upperclass, as upper-class tax liability is also a direct liability from their efforts.

If they make less, they contribute less. There's no "free" money for upperclass, just more benefit to keep reinvesting into American payroll and American Jobs. Suit yourself if you don't want a bi-weekly payroll.

The upper classes are able to collect through the poor spending and saving habits of the lower class. It's not hard to survive in America with basic essentials, like housing, food, water. What makes it difficult is the lower-class is a pipe-dream of being rich without sacrifice or work. They meet this pipe-dream through over-consumption and poor priorities. I saw it everyday during my college years.

This is one quality difference between those who have, and those who don't. The upperclass understands this, where the lowerclass is too ignorant to comprehend.

#26     Sep 13, 2008
  7. you do realize that in the context of obamas tax cuts, the upper class i the top 5%, the lower is all the rest....

#27     Sep 13, 2008
  8. Coolio

Coolio

HA! My family usually does not have to pay any taxes due to our modest income, kids, huge mortgage and wifey in college and I'm still getting $1,400 more.

My tax bill will go from the normal $0 to -$1400.

That's a pretty good deal. I should work less and try to get even more.

#28     Sep 13, 2008
  9. This is a bunch of misleading statistics - you're quoting the statutory tax rate which can be as high as 40%. However, just about no corporations pay that rate due to deductions and depreciation. The average rate for a corporation, if they pay taxes at all, is around 6%.

http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2008/08/the-greek-menac.html

You're also quoting an average tax rate, for your comparison, that includes both developed and undeveloped countries. The US tax rate is, at the statutory level, average for developed nations.

#29     Sep 13, 2008
  10. You'll notice the blog title is 'economist view' as in OPINION. Judging by his webpage he is a hardcore liberal so i would dismiss anything he writes as biased.

US corporate tax rate (effective) are relatively high, and therefore large US corporations have outsourced services and manufacturing to more tax-friendly countries. Ireland has a tax rate for manufacturing of 10%, and this is where many transfer pricing issues are happening (Why would US companies outsource to a higher effective tax country), so your article is misleading...

The other statistic you have to take into account is companies that aren't profitable (like GM has deferred tax assets for decades to come because they have no taxable income) and corporations that are pass-through entities that pass income to shareholders.

#30     Sep 13, 2008