Obama takes Romney to school

Discussion in 'Politics' started by walter4, Oct 23, 2012.

1. I'd really like an answer to this question because according to his track record, the answer is spend more and 'hope' the economy recovers on it's own despite his policies of increased regulation, interference in domestic energy, picking losers to invest OUR tax money in, and doing exactly NOTHING to address the real issues that caused the meltdown in '08. I mean damn, I am against regulation, but if you had to implement something, why not bring glass-steagall back?

Last night he said sequestration isn't going to happen. He belongs to the party of social programs, so what exactly is it that they are gonna cut if not defense spending (when that was the DEM proposal)? If they make no cuts, then the deficit/debt will continue to balloon PLUS obamacare goes into effect in 2014, who knows what that will cost as the estimates are continually revised higher.

#51     Oct 23, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

(Luke, growth is exponential, too, so shut up.)

PB, you have your answer to this in the latest IMF report on austerity and stimulus.

#52     Oct 23, 2012
  3. The govt is the only customer to whom, defense contractors? There are plenty of things to cut which are basically unprofitable subsidies like grants to see if a tomato will grow faster with classical music playing in the background (geezus), food stamps, 99 weeks unemployment, gov housing, foreign aid, bureaucratic budgets, entire agencies that suck and can't do their job (SEC), 'green' energy companies, PBS, govt salaries and so on. Bombs away!!

I forgot to mention it is perfectly ok if fed revenue falls.. as long as fed spending falls even more :)

Ricter, one more truly basic thing: a company that is 100% funded by govt (aside from defense companies, which are necessary) is a net drain on the economy. Any jobs are funded by present and future taxpayers, it is NOT beneficial to the economy, which is why they must be kept to a minimum. You can say this increases tax revenue to the gov but that isn't true at all, they are simply giving back a portion of tax revenue which sustains them.

#53     Oct 23, 2012
  4. If they think getting a loan is tough now just wait til "jubilee" is the norm .

#54     Oct 23, 2012
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Growth is exponential, RIGHT NOW? You fucking moron.

#55     Oct 23, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

I also said "important" customer, so there's no need to focus on the only category, though it does include the massive defense contractors, yes. You're dreaming with all those cuts, never going to happen. Even Reagan couldn't do it. If fact, like the Keynesian he was in practice, he did the opposite, giving us Morning in America (and monstrous deficits and foreign borrowing). Nobody in business wants big gov't spending cuts, because the economic multiplier is real and they know it. The only people who insist on this are the ideologues who think government has to get smaller "just because".

#56     Oct 23, 2012
  7. Those cuts WILL happen, sooner or later if we maintain the status quo.. there is no way out of it. I don't care what Reagan or anyone else did. Truly private sector companies will not be effected by govt spending cuts, and I promise you they want to pay less taxes (so they welcome less fed spending). Like I said business that relies on taxpayer subsidies is a net loss for all of us. I think the only ideology going on here is your fantasy economic multiplier, govt spending does not create economic growth. I know you'll mention infrastructure which IS economically beneficial but it can be done without the govt which serves only as a middleman anyway.

#57     Oct 23, 2012
  8. you need to take your meds.

#58     Oct 23, 2012
  9. LOL!! :D

#59     Oct 23, 2012
  10. Ricter

Ricter

This is all nonsense. You libertarians are a tiny cult. The whole planet doesn't buy that crap. That's doesn't mean you're necessarily wrong, but that's the way to bet.

#60     Oct 23, 2012