Obama Stands In The Way Of A Debt Deal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jul 25, 2011.

1. bone

bone

Geithner said this morning that 80 million Americans get routine checks every month from the Federal Reserve. Since those are monthly checks, they are either payroll or entitlements.

That is astonishing. In 2010, the census tallied just under 309 million total Americans of all ages.

Why work ? Why pay taxes ? What do you suppose is the average amount of each entitlement check ?

#11     Jul 25, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Expenditures should be down then, especially if

#12     Jul 25, 2011
  3. Ricter

Ricter

Nope, revenue should go up, because by objective measures, that is, looking at our solvent peers, our taxes are too low, particularly if we're going to be an empire.

#13     Jul 25, 2011
  4. jem

jem

you keep making that statement.

lets compare our solvent peers tax burden on say 100,000 dollar income in CA and their country.

#14     Jul 25, 2011
  5. Ricter

Ricter

I concede to your mention of the CA problem. Is that where you live?

#15     Jul 25, 2011
  6. Wallet

Wallet

Not directed at the poster, but I have a fundamental flaw with people who pay nothing demanding others pay more so they can keep getting theirs. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who legitimately need help, but there's millions of folks out there who are just too lazy to get off their fat backsides and go get a f'ing job. Cut the unemployment checks to start, every restaurant I see has help wanted signs in the window, that's just a start. There's plenty of opportunity out there if one is willing to roll up their shirt sleeves and get a little dirty and just plain work

Better to flip a burger and get a check than starve.

I run my own business, been doing it for 21 years, show up to work day in day out, sick, tired or what ever, because bills need to be paid. No one, NO ONE gives me squat. I pay way more than my share of taxes and get zippo help for my family in return..... one simple pain in the ass.... no higher learning assistance for my children, I make to much for FASTA, so I have to hit the hip, while other children who's parents are unwilling to work or work as hard, go to college for free. My child is just as smart , same or better grades and is punished because his parent's are willing to work their butts off.

Oh guess now I'd better work a few extra hours as I'm gonna get taxed even more?, now I got to take care of even more deadbeats?

DO YOU GET THE PICTURE OF HOW SCREWED UP THIS IS AND WHY THE LAST ELECTION ENDED WITH A MAJOR DEMOCRATIC PARTY MELTDOWN????

Higher taxes is not the answer, getting the government to manage itself like a business and cutting it's spending IS!

If this Spending problem is not addressed and fixed before the next election, there will not be an incumbent left in office, as the last election will look like child's play.

#16     Jul 25, 2011
  7. Ricter

Ricter

I agree with what you say about freeriders, it's a problem in every system. We have freeriders both at the bottom and the top of our income distribution.

Anyway, as to spending, here's some 2008 data. Admittedly, spending is up, thanks to the recession and 2.5 wars. We've been here before, and still had our best days ahead of us, so I'm not wringing my hands, yet.

http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2008/03/government-spending-as-percentage-of.html

#17     Jul 25, 2011
  8. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Coupla buildings were knocked down in Manhattan and we decided to attack anything that moves and wears a turban. :D

#18     Jul 26, 2011
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Yes, true. Would have been nice to not cut taxes, to try to hang on to the surplus "for a rainy day". But, I'm glad Bush took the battle to the enemy, I credit him for that. Had to be done.

#19     Jul 26, 2011
  10. bone

bone

His successor has turned into quite the warlord. Have to confess, I didn't see that one coming. I don't think that Al Queda did either. Bama made them about extinct. I give him high marks for national defense.

#20     Jul 26, 2011